HP Envy x360 2 in 1 15-inch w dead screen

britechguy

Reaction score
The device does function. If an external monitor is connected it is working fine. I suspect either a loose cable or a truly dead screen.

Regardless of which it is, that is going to mean tearing this thing down if I elect to take on the job. So I thought I'd ask here regarding how hellish that experience might be. I don't touch smartphones anymore or tablets because everything uses glue to hold it all together and I have neither the time nor patience to deal with using a heat gun to get stuff separated. This device may be assembled this way, which is another reason I'm asking.

What says the cohort?

The device does function. If an external monitor is connected it is working fine. I suspect either a loose cable or a truly dead screen.

Regardless of which it is, that is going to mean tearing this thing down if I elect to take on the job. So I thought I'd ask here regarding how hellish that experience might be. I don't touch smartphones anymore or tablets because everything uses glue to hold it all together and I have neither the time nor patience to deal with using a heat gun to get stuff separated. This device may be assembled this way, which is another reason I'm asking.

What says the cohort?
I have an HP x360 - 15-bk168cl. It was not difficult to get into at all. I replaced the display connector. Don't know if that helps or not.

Here's a photo of the inside layout.IMG_20220625_132346.jpg

HP x360 - 15-bk168cl

Thanks, but that's one of their conventional laptops, not a 2-in-1, where "all the guts" are in "the screen half" which can be detached and used as a tablet.

I have a lot of experience with HPs like the one in your photo. In fact the immediately previous "daily drivers" in my household were HP 15 series laptops.

I got detailed information since my initial post, too:
ProdId: 695B0UA#ABA
SN#: CND2403CK3
Model ew0023dx

Thanks, but that's one of their conventional laptops, not a 2-in-1, where "all the guts" are in "the screen half" which can be detached and used as a tablet.

I have a lot of experience with HPs like the one in your photo. In fact the immediately previous "daily drivers" in my household were HP 15 series laptops.

I got detailed information since my initial post, too:
ProdId: 695B0UA#ABA
SN#: CND2403CK3
Model ew0023dx
Your Product ID shows a slightly different model. Mine is actually a 2 in 1 but doesn't detach. It only folds backward.Screenshot 2024-07-03 090406.jpg

Mine is actually a 2 in 1 but doesn't detach. It only folds backward.

I have never figured out why they call what you have a "2-in-1." It's a contortionist 1-in-1, but if it can't be separated, it's NOT a 2-in-1, by my personal definition of 2-in-1.

I thank you for your attempts to assist. I'm just venting a bit about marketing here, not you!

I have never figured out why they call what you have a "2-in-1." It's a contortionist 1-in-1, but if it can't be separated, it's NOT a 2-in-1, by my personal definition of 2-in-1.

I thank you for your attempts to assist. I'm just venting a bit about marketing here, not you!
You're fine. I didn't think you were venting at me. I have lots of Dells that are called 2 in 1s but they just fold back and the keyboard is disabled to prevent accidental key strikes. I sure wish you luck with yours. Mine would also connect to a monitor but display was black, like the symptoms yours has.

@ThatPlace928

Thanks Again. For the most part I've sourced screens (and I have to believe this is either a loose cable or a dead screen) from laptopscreens.com. I found this one, earlier: https://www.laptopscreen.com/English/model/HP/ENVY~X360~15-EW0023DX/

Given my past experience with them, I'm willing to buy a "used" one from them in the condition they state. They've always stood behind their product.
That's pricey but I've used Laptop Screens myself and they deliver quick and the products are great.

And looking at the service manual I don't really think I want to take on this job. It looks to be insanely miserable and complicated to do a screen replacement on this thing, more than I want to take on.

I might agree to do a cable check at the mobo if the client wants that, but if that's not the issue someone else needs to deal with replacing that screen.

And looking at the service manual I don't really think I want to take on this job. It looks to be insanely miserable and complicated to do a screen replacement on this thing, more than I want to take on.

I might agree to do a cable check at the mobo if the client wants that, but if that's not the issue someone else needs to deal with replacing that screen.
I checked out the manual, too. But it's 105 pages in length so I x'd out.... lol

If it makes a difference, when the display prices for a laptop are higher than I want to go, I'll search for the entire display assembly. It's a lot less money and labor than a display replacement and you don't have to remove the display, which can be damaged easily in the process. Only have to worry about hinges and the connection inside.

I've replaced that screen with a used one from them recently (HP PAVILION X360 15-ER0008CA) and it wasn't a horrible job, just risky. Those screens are easily broken during removal/installation so you need to be extremely careful. I would get a disclaimer from the customer that if it breaks during the job, they accept the risk and liability. That's what I did, but luckily, it all went well.

@Larry Sabo

Did you literally replace the screen and the screen alone, or transfer the whole assembly that includes the bezel, etc.?

I can find assemblies that it seems would require only the transfer of the hinges as well as the back cover of the screen side.

Also, did you end up having to use suction cups, as HP recommends, to separate the screen assembly from the back cover? This thing appears to be nothing more than that assembly with it being attached to the back cover with tape strips. If I can get enough separation with careful use of plastic tools, I'd find that easier. The "official instructions" say you need tweezers (which I have) to start pulling out the affixing tape. my biggest dread would be the tape snapping before it had been pulled out (and that's happened to me before).

Last edited:
@Larry Sabo

I can find assemblies that it seems would require only the transfer of the hinges as well as the back cover of the screen side.
That would be your least risky option but get the complete assembly with back cover and hinges. It's option I use more often than not and you don't change the back cover. Just find a good used one with a nice looking back cover. The toughest part is finding one where the back cover is not scratched up or dinged but the nice ones do exist.

Last edited:
The least amount of money for the complete display assembly is $295 on eBay. As you can see, it has the back cover and hinges already on it, ready to install. It's brand new, not used. Couldn't find a less expensive used one.

@Larry Sabo

Did you literally replace the screen and the screen alone, or transfer the whole assembly that includes the bezel, etc.?

Also, did you end up having to use suction cups, as HP recommends, to separate the screen assembly from the back cover? This thing appears to be nothing more than that assembly with it being attached to the back cover with tape strips. If I can get enough separation with careful use of plastic tools, I'd find that easier. The "official instructions" say you need tweezers (which I have) to start pulling out the affixing tape. my biggest dread would be the tape snapping before it had been pulled out (and that's happened to me before).
This what I replaced...
PAVILION_15-ER_SCREEN_ASSEMBLY_BACK_.jpg
1. LCD screen + Touch Digitizer + Bezel 15.6-inch WideScreen FHD (1920x1080) Glossy compatible with HP PAVILION X360 15-ER0008CA Lifetime Warranty.

No, I didn't use suction cups. The screen was attached with adhesive strips. It was a month-and-a-half ago so I don't recall specifics but I think I recall that getting the old screen separated was a challenge. I used a hot plate at 95C recently in such a case but am not certain it was this case. Thank your lucky stars that it's not an OLED. They are insanely expensive.

Back