HP Envy x360 2 in 1 15-inch w dead screen

@ThatPlace928

Thank you very much. This is what I'd really prefer to do, period, as I hate trying to deal with those taped-in screens.
It's what I do, especially if the original top cover is messed up. This way, the customer gets a shiny new cover in the process. As long as your customer is agreeable to the price, over $300 with tax, you should be good to go and you'll have a less labor-intensive job replacing it.

It's what I do, especially if the original top cover is messed up. This way, the customer gets a shiny new cover in the process. As long as your customer is agreeable to the price, over $300 with tax, you should be good to go and you'll have a less labor-intensive job replacing it.

I've already quoted $350 for the part plus labor of up to 2 hours (though I think 1 to 1.5 may do it, depending on what I find). The ball is now in their court as to whether they'd like to proceed or not.

Client has gotten back to me and says he's going to replace the laptop, as it cost somewhere around $650 new when purchased a couple of years ago. I can't blame him, either, and he's steering clear of HP laptops, which I don't think is a bad idea, either.

I have never figured out why they call what you have a "2-in-1." It's a contortionist 1-in-1, but if it can't be separated, it's NOT a 2-in-1, by my personal definition of 2-in-1.
A 2-in-1 laptop is simply a laptop/tablet hybrid. It's a laptop and tablet in one device. It doesn't matter how the laptop turns into a tablet, most these days allow the keyboard to be folded back on itself so it can be held like a tablet. Although in my opinion they're too heavy for genuine tablet use, especially 15" ones, and I've never met an owner of one that ever uses one as a tablet. Some just like the occasional touch screen while in laptop mode but many don't even use that.
he's steering clear of HP laptops, which I don't think is a bad idea, either.
Don't forget there are commercial-grade HPs that are excellent, e.g. ZBook, EliteBook and even ProBook are worth considering.

A 2-in-1 laptop is simply a laptop/tablet hybrid. It's a laptop and tablet in one device. It doesn't matter how the laptop turns into a tablet, most these days allow the keyboard to be folded back on itself so it can be held like a tablet. Although in my opinion they're too heavy for genuine tablet use, especially 15" ones, and I've never met an owner of one that ever uses one as a tablet. Some just like the occasional touch screen while in laptop mode but many don't even use that.

Don't forget there are commercial-grade HPs that are excellent, e.g. ZBook, EliteBook and even ProBook are worth considering.
My original laptop died on me in a couple ways so I decided to use a ProBook I recently refurbished. I really like the ProBook so I have my original set to the side to work on ......... later. 😁

As with @fincoder I recommend Z or Elite Books to clients nice comfortable and sturdy laptop design. I avoid those hybrid things. I explain to the client sure they are good in a sense that they can be a tablet. Though the cost of repair is high compared to a general laptop as I never go near touchscreen systems, too much time for little economical benefit.

Agreed. I asked the client whether he ever used either the touchscreen feature (in any configuration) and whether the "fold-over" was ever used. The answer to both was negative.

My response was to stick to a good quality conventional laptop without a touch screen.

Yeah it always amazes me how so many people never give it a thought when they buy anything. They didn't need touchscreen or a tablet like function but yet that's what they bought lol. I've had the same conversation with many people and tell them stick to traditional style laptops for the best chance at being able to repair it if something happens.

I had to swap out ram in a dell 2-n-1 a month or so ago and that was quite easy...screens seem like a headache unless you're doing a lot of them and get good at it.

Back