LAPTOPS -Broken Ribbon Cable Connector

I also did this recently, although I actually cut a piece of ribbon from an old keyboard I had laying around and made it the same width as the connecting end that gets inserted into the connector. After making sure I could make a secure connection (slight force required), I glued the cut piece to the top 'none-connecting' side of the ribbon using superglue. Worked great!

had a similar problem once only it wasnt just the clip that came loose, took a while to solder it back on again. Incedently im always very careful to make sure there is nothing connected before I remove the case now! Good tip though, thanks!

We keep a lot of of dead laptop motherboards in our stores which are really useful for replacement keyboard latches / 3 pin connectors etc that we use if we sometimes break a connector (speaker connectors are the worse!) or the clip / connector has corroded away when trying to remove it.

This is quite common when a customer brings their own laptop repair into us because they broke the connector when trying to do it themselves.

In some cases, you don't even a need the same size connector (smaller or larger) but with the larger clip I trimmed it to size.

Back