Learning Apple Repair

I used to be an Apple Tech at an ASP. It was incredibly easy. Though I was on my way out when the new sealed iMacs came in, so I only had to do a few of those repairs. Once you're familiar will the paperwork hoops you have to go through, you can speed through them.

I used to be an Apple Tech at an ASP. It was incredibly easy. Though I was on my way out when the new sealed iMacs came in, so I only had to do a few of those repairs. Once you're familiar will the paperwork hoops you have to go through, you can speed through them.
You never had the joy of needing to hook up to a second Mac to authorize parts, so the device could turn on, then...or the other silly hoops they made you jump through. I'm glad I got out when I did, the writing was on the wall for some annoying steps in the repair.

You never had the joy of needing to hook up to a second Mac to authorize parts, so the device could turn on, then...or the other silly hoops they made you jump through. I'm glad I got out when I did, the writing was on the wall for some annoying steps in the repair.

My thing with apple is if they don't want small shops or independent places doing any repairs then fine. We don't have to like it but whatever lol...but they don't even want to repair their own devices. If they do it's $50 dollars more for a whole new system etc. It's not just apple but it seems like they are one of the innovators of non repairable devices.

they don't even want to repair their own devices.
Yeah that's the whole point. Apple just wants to sell you something new and intentionally price their repairs at or above the cost of a new device. It's long past time for the government to look into their anti-repair practices. Nobody else gets to do this. Imagine if Ford made a vehicle where you couldn't change the oil without replacing the whole engine, and once the tires wore out, it cost $50,000 to replace them because they paired their tires to the car using firmware and the car wouldn't start without the tires being paired to the computer onboard.

Do you just mean the server with the diagnostic tool? We were under heavy scrutiny from Apple because the previous tech had a habit of not running it, so I was running it on everything I touched. Just had it as part of the process and it wasn't a big deal. Other than having to have a Mac server

Do you just mean the server with the diagnostic tool? We were under heavy scrutiny from Apple because the previous tech had a habit of not running it, so I was running it on everything I touched. Just had it as part of the process and it wasn't a big deal. Other than having to have a Mac server

No. At a certain point, you needed to have another machine physically connected to the repair machine, so that you could connect via the working machine, to AST2 and then serialize parts on the repair machine. For example, an iMac being repaired would not even turn on after replacement parts are installed, until you connected it to a Macbook Pro, used AST2 on the Macbook and serialized the parts.

Just needlessly complicated, in my opinion.

Why are you only looking at supplying through IRP ?

THe aftermarket parts available nowadays are definitely much better than they were 5 years ago
The extra leg work to do a repair through IRP is crazy, lots more paperwork and having to follow their protocols and returning the old part. Only getting parts discounts when you order them on demand, rather than holding the stock.

We are IRP just so that we can willy wave... for no other reason
with the IRP I can certainly use 3rd party parts but I just have to inform the customer that i'm doing that and also give them the option of buying genuine parts.

No. At a certain point, you needed to have another machine physically connected to the repair machine, so that you could connect via the working machine, to AST2 and then serialize parts on the repair machine. For example, an iMac being repaired would not even turn on after replacement parts are installed, until you connected it to a Macbook Pro, used AST2 on the Macbook and serialized the parts.

Just needlessly complicated, in my opinion.

Yeah, that sounds nuts

Back