Misinformation about Win11 24H2 and BitLocker/Device Encryption has begun making the rounds, be aware

britechguy

Reaction score
Most, if not all of us, are probably aware that as of version 24H2, Windows 11 when setup on a brand new box OR when a completely clean reinstall is performed will enable BitLocker/Device Encryption automatically by default. That's not the misinformation, it's true, presuming you don't force the use of a local account as a way of getting around it, and most users won't.

But sites (and I'm shocked by this one, in particular, like winaero.com) are saying things like, "Windows 11 24H2 may slow down your SSD by 45%," and (up until a few minutes ago, as I tried to post a comment that appears to have resulted in an update to the message) saying that it would be turned on by default simply by the application of the feature update to 24H2, and I have seen absolutely nothing to indicate that will be the case. I also doubt that there is anything but 1st Gen SSD hardware that could possibly come close to being slowed down by 45% because BitLocker or Device Encryption is enabled.

There has definitely been a big lowering of the hardware specs in regard to device encryption, but that's a separate issue. I also cannot find anything whatsoever to indicate that BitLocker or Device Encryption would be re-enabled on any machine on which it's already disabled by the application of 24H2.

I think most users are using SSD and especially NVMe drives now with the O/S on that as primary. I would not think it would have any effect at all on these drives.

The devil is in the details in matters like this. I would assume that unless you have explicitly disabled BitLocker, that Microsoft would and could have some form of pending BitLocker status that is awaiting transfer of ownership but.... possibly could be still triggered. But that only stems from half stories of folks who encountered an issue but never provide details and no clue how it was resolved or the root cause, cause people suck at communicating and documenting things.

However, I think most of the fault lies with Microsoft for being such a horrible communication handler. If they just came out with a one page sheet of what can happen or what will happen.....it would be so simple. Like a one sheet Bit Locker fact sheet or something. But it's so shrouded in mystery and constantly changing options or features, that this is what we get, wild stories.

Back