Please provide feedback on logo designs and slogan options.

cbsnyder87

Reaction score
Hey all, I am currently hosting a contest on DesignContest.com for a logo for my start-up.

My entire business model is based on simplicity for the customer, professionalism, and efficiency. I specifically asked the designers to not do anything generic, trendy, or anything that ties me to one area of technology, as I want to change with the technology. I.e., no desktop computer in the logo, no phones or tablets, etc.

The customer, whether business or residential, should be able to see the logo and instantly know what we are about, and it should be sleek and simple enough to stick in their minds.

The name of my business is "Bits & Bytes Computers".

I'm back and forth between two slogans:

"Yeah, I do IT"
OR
"I make IT work"

I've attached the two best logo designs so far. Wondering what your take is on the slogans and the logo designs. Please be honest and straightforward.

Thanks everybody!

Attachments

• Logos.png
    Logos.png
    133.4 KB · Views: 56
Hi.

I honestly don't really like the slogans. The main reason is the use of 'I'. You could be a self-employed (I am too) but you want your business to at least sound like one that has been established for quite some time, and this shows that the business is experienced. You might also employ someone else in the future, and that would 'kind of' make the slogan obsolete.

If I had to choose between the two logos, I would choose the first one. Reason is, it's less busy than the other. I like the choice of colours, however I would work with vector, and remove any fancy textures (as the ampersand seems to have). The actual logo still looks slightly busy. Maybe you should think about removing the 'power' logo. I find the curve shows efficiency, however I'm not sure about the blocks. Though I like them, I think you should ask for it to be less busy.

Hope this helps :) (straightforward enough?)

Hi.

I honestly don't really like the slogans. The main reason is the use of 'I'. You could be a self-employed (I am too) but you want your business to at least sound like one that has been established for quite some time, and this shows that the business is experienced. You might also employ someone else in the future, and that would 'kind of' make the slogan obsolete.

If I had to choose between the two logos, I would choose the first one. Reason is, it's less busy than the other. I like the choice of colours, however I would work with vector, and remove any fancy textures (as the ampersand seems to have). The actual logo still looks slightly busy. Maybe you should think about removing the 'power' logo. I find the curve shows efficiency, however I'm not sure about the blocks. Though I like them, I think you should ask for it to be less busy.

Hope this helps :) (straightforward enough?)

Thanks for the feedback! I had the same dilemma about the "I" in the slogans, but I started to think if I put "We" in the slogan then it might look dishonest or sneaky when a customer finds out it's just me and my garage, lol.

I liked the blocks because it fit with "bits and bytes" better than one's and zero's would, and it gets the idea across that we work with anything that involves information. At least, that's how I take it...maybe not the average consumer/customer.

It's funny you suggested removing the "power" logo...I specifically requested it to be put in there, hahaha. I felt it gave the impression that things work after my business works on it.

I agree on the "busy" look of the CPU logo. I don't like the heartbeat monitor, but the mouse and RJ-45 connector are very well-known by most customers so I thought maybe it would help them identify with it.

I'm so stuck....I'm very uncreative. I'm a "data" and "facts" kind of person and this kind of stuff is just a pain for me and I wanna get it overwith...o_O

I never said 'WE' would be a good replacement :P In fact, I disagree with using 'we' as much as using 'I'... at least in your case (and mine too). Why not use a slogan that goes around IT or the Client (just like PCSupportGlasgow has?

My reply was specifically targeted to the first logo. I suggest you to remove the power button simply to make the logo look less busy. I never liked busy logos, makes the entity it represents look like 'messy' and 'unorganized'. I may not be (which usually is the case), but that would be my first impression.

Now I understand why you have used the blocks :) Why use a picture of a mouse and a RJ45 when the logo clearly states 'COMPUTERS'? It also looks like the mouse is connected to an RJ45... however as I previously mentioned, I prefer the first logo.

I like the choice of colours, however I would work with vector, and remove any fancy textures (as the ampersand seems to have).

Was curious how the fancy texture on the ampersand would be affected in a vector image? I know vector is highly scalable and the preferred format (which I will explicitly request), but I didn't know the texture would be affected.

I never said 'WE' would be a good replacement :p In fact, I disagree with using 'we' as much as using 'I'... at least in your case (and mine too). Why not use a slogan that goes around IT or the Client (just like PCSupportGlasgow has?

My reply was specifically targeted to the first logo. I suggest you to remove the power button simply to make the logo look less busy. I never liked busy logos, makes the entity it represents look like 'messy' and 'unorganized'. I may not be (which usually is the case), but that would be my first impression.

Now I understand why you have used the blocks :) Why use a picture of a mouse and a RJ45 when the logo clearly states 'COMPUTERS'? It also looks like the mouse is connected to an RJ45... however as I previously mentioned, I prefer the first logo.

I see where you're going with the slogan now. Going to have to put some more thought into that.

I'm having a hard time finding something that straddles the "simple, efficient, and professional" with "comprehensive and multi-faceted". I realize the mouse and Ethernet do not go together...but I thought it would connect with the customer since they're easily identifiable.

I'm open to suggestions! I want to avoid the "generic" look of a laptop or computer screen...but I really liked the way the designer made the screen look in the first logo.

Logo I agree with Dan that it too busy.

I think you should always look at how a logo will look forward hen printed in black & white (as you will do it so many times ).

Also remember your logo is part of your brand and anyone should be able to instantly recognise its your company when see it from a distance. Can you honestly say either of those can?

Ok, howbout these.

Again, "Simple, efficient, professional" yet "comprehensive". Unique to my business and therefore easy to associate with my business.

Thinking of having design 1 incorporate a "power" logo as the center hexagon and having my slogan: "Making IT work." Seems like the slogan would fit with the power logo better that way.

Attachments

• Logos 2.png
    Logos 2.png
    119.8 KB · Views: 23
If your goal is simplicity for the customer, then your logo misses the mark. Your logos are way to busy and the slogan is way too limiting. Anytime you use the word "I" instead of "We" you are saying that you are small and that you will always be small.

I know this thread is not about your Business name, but your business name sounds like an old internet cafe from the 90s . . . . .

EDIT: Didn't see the last logos. The icons of the first two logos are good, but the words need help. I think it looks messy and harder to read if the first line goes into the line under it. You can do it, but you have to do so elegantly and intentionally . . . . not as if you did not know what else to do with it.

If your goal is simplicity for the customer, then your logo misses the mark. Your logos are way to busy and the slogan is way too limiting. Anytime you use the word "I" instead of "We" you are saying that you are small and that you will always be small.

I am inclined to agree with you completely on these points. At first I didn't take it that way, but I see it now with the help of some friends and these forums. I have since decided on the slogan: "Making IT work". I can't use "Making IT work for you" since it is used by about 30 different businesses around the US (Google it, it's nuts). I will not risk a lawsuit over some copyright of a slogan.

I know this thread is not about your Business name, but your business name sounds like an old internet cafe from the 90s . . . . .

I'm OK with that. I feel customers who need my services will go to the one with the most catchy name in the area because it has stuck in their heads. If it sounds like an old internet cafe, hey, at least people may say, "Hey call up that computer shop with the corny name that sounds like a 90's internet cafe. What is it? Oh yea.. bits and bytes." :p (And in my defense...I was born in 1987 and I didn't even use the internet for the first time until I was about 11. So I plead ignorance about 90's Internet Cafes :D)

EDIT: Didn't see the last logos. The icons of the first two logos are good, but the words need help. I think it looks messy and harder to read if the first line goes into the line under it. You can do it, but you have to do so elegantly and intentionally . . . . not as if you did not know what else to do with it.

I see what you're saying for logo #2, but #1 doesn't have this effect. I rather like how the "computers" is offset to the left and out of all the other text.

A logo has about 1 second (maybe less) to create an impact on the viewer. 1 second is not a lot of time so you have two options these days.
  1. Create a flat style logo with simple angles and bright contrasting colors.
  2. Create a skeuomorphic badge or emblem with a handmade feel.
#1 in your first logo set has too much shine, and too much going on in the icon.
#2 in your first logo set has too many fonts, too many high definition graphics, and not real layout.

#1 in your second logo set has a good use of modern "flat yet rounded" appeal, i'd opt to get the font for "COMPUTERS" enlarged a bit.
#2 in your second logo set has an excellent icon, but a terrible font for the company name, and I'd opt to change 'COMPUTERS' to a left aligned, rather than justified spacing.
#3 looks like it belongs to a piece of software, or web platform (actually, looks like Drupal)
#4 is just a bad logo.

My suggestion?

Take #2 of the second logo set, change the font to the one in #4, and align "computers" to the left, instead of justified spacing.

I am inclined to agree with you completely on these points. At first I didn't take it that way, but I see it now with the help of some friends and these forums. I have since decided on the slogan: "Making IT work". I can't use "Making IT work for you" since it is used by about 30 different businesses around the US (Google it, it's nuts). I will not risk a lawsuit over some copyright of a slogan.

I'm OK with that. I feel customers who need my services will go to the one with the most catchy name in the area because it has stuck in their heads. If it sounds like an old internet cafe, hey, at least people may say, "Hey call up that computer shop with the corny name that sounds like a 90's internet cafe. What is it? Oh yea.. bits and bytes." :p (And in my defense...I was born in 1987 and I didn't even use the internet for the first time until I was about 11. So I plead ignorance about 90's Internet Cafes :D)

I see what you're saying for logo #2, but #1 doesn't have this effect. I rather like how the "computers" is offset to the left and out of all the other text.

Just keep in mind, that your business name says a lot more than you think. You have to have a business name that is more than just catchy, it has to say what you do without any confusion at all. It should not sound like one thing and actually be meant for another. I mean, even adding repair after "Computer" would help, but then it still sounds dated, which bring me to my next point. If your business sounds dated, then you are going to have a hard time appearing to be modern and up to date. This actually reminds me of my joke to one day open up a shop called 56k Computer Repair. Anyways, I just think you could come up with something stronger. Get your name right now, because it will be much harder and more expensive to change later.

Just keep in mind, that your business name says a lot more than you think. You have to have a business name that is more than just catchy, it has to say what you do without any confusion at all. It should not sound like one thing and actually be meant for another. I mean, even adding repair after "Computer" would help, but then it still sounds dated, which bring me to my next point. If your business sounds dated, then you are going to have a hard time appearing to be modern and up to date. This actually reminds me of my joke to one day open up a shop called 56k Computer Repair. Anyways, I just think you could come up with something stronger. Get your name right now, because it will be much harder and more expensive to change later.

I hear you, and it makes a lot of sense. Unfortunately, I came up with the name months ago, filled all my licenses under it, my fictitious business name, and everything else...it's already going to cost me a lot to change. But it might be worth it if I can come up with something better altogether and just fork out the couple hundred and consider it advertising costs...

And honestly, I couldn't think of anything to put besides "computers". I don't want to just be a computer repair shop, so I left the "repair" off. I will be getting into mobile repairs soon, as well, but I also want to eventually get into networking/consulting with small businesses, so I don't want to have the stigma of just a "repair" shop. Using Bits & Bytes "technology" seemed too broad when I considered that. Anything with "IT" in the title comes across as setting up big networks and running cloud services (neither of which I do at this time, and I may never). I'm not a consultant yet, so I can't incorporate "consulting" anywhere. Anything with "PC" seemed too limiting for previously stated reasons. There's a lot more out there than just "PCs".

I did ponder some names like "SimplicITy", which a graphics artist could do a lot with. Also, "InfinITy". I tossed around ideas like:

"SimiplicITy Tech Servies" or something along those long, but what is a tech service? What is technology? Will people understand that I repair personal technology devices? Or will I be getting phone calls for home theater systems, security cameras, and the like and be constantly turning people away because my name is misleading?

I spent months arguing with myself over these things...Bits & Bytes was the best I could do eventually. All personal computing devices use bits and bytes and I thought it had the "comprehensive" sound to it. But maybe not...

I'm open to suggestions and guidance!

Your legal name doesn't have to be your advertised or operating name.

For example, "K-mart" is not K-Mart Corporation and "Sears" is not Sears Inc. It's actually a company called Sears Holdings Corporation

A logo has about 1 second (maybe less) to create an impact on the viewer. 1 second is not a lot of time so you have two options these days.
  1. Create a flat style logo with simple angles and bright contrasting colors.
  2. Create a skeuomorphic badge or emblem with a handmade feel.
#1 in your first logo set has too much shine, and too much going on in the icon.
#2 in your first logo set has too many fonts, too many high definition graphics, and not real layout.

#1 in your second logo set has a good use of modern "flat yet rounded" appeal, i'd opt to get the font for "COMPUTERS" enlarged a bit.
#2 in your second logo set has an excellent icon, but a terrible font for the company name, and I'd opt to change 'COMPUTERS' to a left aligned, rather than justified spacing.
#3 looks like it belongs to a piece of software, or web platform (actually, looks like Drupal)
#4 is just a bad logo.

My suggestion?

Take #2 of the second logo set, change the font to the one in #4, and align "computers" to the left, instead of justified spacing.

Thanks for your detailed response! I am learning more than I thought I needed to about logos and advertising. It doesn't help that I'm as creative as a rock...

What do you think of turning the center of the #2 icon in the second set into a "power" symbol, while keeping the rest of it as is? Thought it would give the impression of "My stuff will work after going to this place". Again...I am SUCK at advertising and creativity....

Your legal name doesn't have to be your advertised or operating name.

For example, "K-mart" is not K-Mart Corporation and "Sears" is not Sears Inc. It's actually a company called Sears Holdings Corporation

According to California law, the registered business name must be exactly what is advertised and must include "LLC, Inc, or Co." if applicable. It's stated right on the licensing. This state is absolutely horrendous to run a business in. But the reasoning (according to the county and several lawyers) is that say you register as "Bits and Bytes" but use a different advertising name, now you run into copyright issues and everything else if there is a guy who already has or wants to start up a business with the same advertised name you use. Since the advertised name isn't exactly what is registered and licensed, you could be convicted of copyright infringement.

Really and truthfully, the graphic design "mind games" are all bulls**t. There's certain looks and feels that industries have...like corporate images are all "uniform", fast foods are more "friendly and open", kids companies are "fun", coffee shops have an "urban" feel.

A power symbol is playing it super safe, but it won't separate you from the competition no more than a hamburger would set you apart from fast food chains. I actually love that little "B" icon in #2 so much I wanted to remake it myself.

Hnec3hb.png

For some reason that looks very "techy" to me.

I think the "power" symbol was more of the skeuomorphic side of advertising. Like Apple's apple, but not as abstract. Or maybe BestBuy's price tag is a better analogy.

It's not so much that it's unique to me, but that customers can associate it quickly and easily with anything that "turns on".

I feel like there's a border between "unique to my business that people see and know is mine" and "so unique that nobody knows what the hell it means or is connected with". I'm trying to straddle those...but again...that rock creativity...

Back