Pluggable Power Supply Tester

Altster

Reaction score
Hey all,

I am looking for a pluggable power supply tester for the smaller black power mainboard connector (from the power supply itself). As an example - to be able to plug in the power outlet from a Dell Optiplex 780 power supply.

And before anyone asks, I am NOT looking for the SATA power connection.

Unfortunately I don't have a picture to reference to but I know there are many of you out there who knows what I'm talking about.

There are quite quite few PSU testers on eBay which are more than capable to test the motherboard ATX power connector. (I think this is what you are referring to...)
I'd advise to get one with a display as this makes diagnosing a faulty PSU that much easier than looking at LEDs or counting beeps.
Some which I've used and all worked great:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ThermalTa...24-Pin-Sata-Molex-PCI-E-6-and-8-/181521037157

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-ATX-Po...omputing_PowerSupplies_EH&hash=item27e218f3cc

You should be able to find both of these on the US eBay as well

Hope this helps

There are quite quite few PSU testers on eBay which are more than capable to test the motherboard ATX power connector. (I think this is what you are referring to...)
I'd advise to get one with a display as this makes diagnosing a faulty PSU that much easier than looking at LEDs or counting beeps.
Some which I've used and all worked great:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ThermalTa...24-Pin-Sata-Molex-PCI-E-6-and-8-/181521037157

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-ATX-Po...omputing_PowerSupplies_EH&hash=item27e218f3cc

You should be able to find both of these on the US eBay as well

Hope this helps

Nope, neither of those are what I am looking for. I already have something which will do the trick for that ATX type of power supply.

I guess I didn't make myself quite clear in the original posting. The power connection is much smaller (comes from a Dell Optiplex 780 SFF cabinet / power supply).

The power supply has Dell markings -- Model #: L235P-01, Dell P/N : R224M

Black female power plug - 1 & 3/8" x (less than) 1/4" - 24 connections, 2 of which are blank.

So it looks just like an ATX but smaller?

If so, you just need the adapter to convert it (to work with normal power supply testers).

These are the connector present on your PSU:
1x 24-Pin Mini ATX System Board Connector (in GREEN circle)
1x Serial ATA (SATA) Connector (in PINK circle)
1x 4 Pin ATX +12V Power Connector (in WHITE circle)
1x MINI SATA (Internal) (in BLUE circle)

All of these connectors can be tested with a regular PSU tester like the ones that I've linked

These are the connector present on your PSU:
1x 24-Pin Mini ATX System Board Connector (in GREEN circle)
1x Serial ATA (SATA) Connector (in PINK circle)
1x 4 Pin ATX +12V Power Connector (in WHITE circle)
1x MINI SATA (Internal) (in BLUE circle)

All of these connectors can be tested with a regular PSU tester like the ones that I've linked

Yep, the one in the green circle. OK then, I need an adapter to work with the tester I already have. Any suggestion(s) on where I can find it?

Can you post a pic, or a link of the tester you already have?

Be easier than trying to think what you currently use.. :/

My adapter, allows both 20 and 24 pins. I'm kinda amazed that yours doesn't.. (this ones a good few years old, way before 24pin psu's came the norm).

Or just get an adapter which has already been posted and linked to..

You just need a new tester. Or need to learn how to use a DVM.

You don't use adapters on testers. Kind of hard to get an accurate line reading if you are combining multiple lines into one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...re=power_supply_tester-_-99-705-003-_-Product

That should test your system just fine.

Not sure what you mean...
Its a mini ATX, which will not fit that tester you linked. The adapter simply extends the wire links to the normal atx connecter... it doesn't combine wires.

Electrically it will not give an accurate test.

How come? An extra 3 inches of wire will throw it off?

EDIT: Also, just to be clear, I believe the OP is talking about the Mini-24pin connector, not your typical one which most of the testers posted here are for. (The black connector in this pic)
BI1r5cU.jpg

Last edited:
How come? An extra 3 inches of wire will throw it off?

EDIT: Also, just to be clear, I believe the OP is talking about the Mini-24pin connector, not your typical one which most of the testers posted here are for. (The black connector in this pic)
BI1r5cU.jpg

Nevermind. I'm thinking the Dell Proprietary PSUs they used to run a few years back. Totally different pin out. :o I is stuoopid.

Nevermind. I'm thinking the Dell Proprietary PSUs they used to run a few years back. Totally different pin out. :o I is stuoopid.

Is this a Dell proprietary system ???

Is it me (not thinking right, I haven't had lunch yet) or are the wires different in the links aathes and I posted form a standard PSU?

The adapters look standard colors put the PSU's wire colors in the pictures don't look right to me, like I said I haven't had lunch so forgive me if I'm wrong.

1 +3.3V Orange +3.3 VDC
2 +3.3V Orange +3.3 VDC
3 COM Black Ground
4 +5V Red +5 VDC
5 COM Black Ground
6 +5V Red +5 VDC
7 COM Black Ground
8 PWR_ON Gray Power Good
9 +5VSB Purple +5 VDC Standby
10 +12V1 Yellow +12 VDC
11 +12V1 Yellow +12 VDC
12 +3.3V Orange +3.3 VDC
13 +3.3V Orange +3.3 VDC
14 -12V Blue -12 VDC
15 COM Black Ground
16 PS_ON# Green Power Supply On
17 COM Black Ground
18 COM Black Ground
19 COM Black Ground
20 NC White -5 VDC (Optional - Removed in ATX12V v2.01)
21 +5V Red +5 VDC
22 +5V Red +5 VDC
23 +5V Red +5 VDC
24 COM Black Ground

Back