Refurb sources & models for the "low intensity" home user

There are screens sold for this same model that are 30-pin and others are 40-pin with non-touch and touch being the distinction.

That's why this is such a grand PITA. For instance, that second option, which would be tempting at $85, shows this:

1722466012303.png

There never seems to be a direct mention of the number of pins, so I'd have to check with the seller. I've written to the guy selling this one as well as the other new, but has to be sold as refurb one, to make sure of the pin configuration.

I started looking into replacement screens when this customer first appeared, and laptopscreens.com has both the 30 and 40 pin screens for this model line.

There are screens sold for this same model that are 30-pin and others are 40-pin with non-touch and touch being the distinction.

That's why this is such a grand PITA. For instance, that second option, which would be tempting at $85, shows this:

View attachment 16644

There never seems to be a direct mention of the number of pins, so I'd have to check with the seller. I've written to the guy selling this one as well as the other new, but has to be sold as refurb one, to make sure of the pin configuration.

I started looking into replacement screens when this customer first appeared, and laptopscreens.com has both the 30 and 40 pin screens for this model line.
I noticed that with laptopscreens, too. I was going to suggest you contact the sellers. I think you can look up the part number located on the connector cable and cross-reference with other part numbers to see if they're what you need. Different manufacturers use different part numbers. :(

I noticed that with laptopscreens, too. I was going to suggest you contact the sellers. I think you can look up the part number located on the connector cable and cross-reference with other part numbers to see if they're what you need. Different manufacturers use different part numbers. :(

I've attached the ZIPped CSV file of the Dell Specs for Service Tag BD31763. The way I read this is that the machine shipped with a display assembly with the part number of NDGD4.

From the back of the actual screen itself (note, it's made by LG) it has a Dell Part Number of 0NKHN7
Inspiron_Screen_Part_Number.jpg

I can't for the life of me find any NDGD4 display assembly. I can find a very great many sources for a 0NKHN7 screen.

The seller for the two that looked promising has given Dell Part Numbers that are not NDGD4 or (for non-touch, XNHVP).

Attachments

• BD31763.zip
    2.9 KB · Views: 0
I've attached the ZIPped CSV file of the Dell Specs for Service Tag BD31763. The way I read this is that the machine shipped with a display assembly with the part number of NDGD4.

From the back of the actual screen itself (note, it's made by LG) it has a Dell Part Number of 0NKHN7
View attachment 16650

I can't for the life of me find any NDGD4 display assembly. I can find a very great many sources for a 0NKHN7 screen.

The seller for the two that looked promising has given Dell Part Numbers that are not NDGD4 or (for non-touch, XNHVP).
If the sellers of the display assemblies were only removing the entire assembly, they may not be able to tell you what the part # is without actually taking it apart, which is something you don't want.

I always trust my gut, when it comes to these assemblies and never rely on part #s from the back of the screen or even the #s on the connectors. I was only wrong one time and it was my first time buying a display, not the entire assembly.

Probably too late (been a very hectic week, missed opening day of the thread).
As you know from my history here, I always prefer "business grade computers" over "residential grade". I'll skip typing a few pages on the differences between them, but I realize good "business grade" computers are usually above the budget of residential users. When new!
... :)

Enter the "factory outlet stores" of the major brands. Since I'm an Lenovo fan, I'll link theres...but Dell also has one.

It can be a challenge for some to navigate and search, I know Bri will figure it out.
Choose your product line/family, screen size (if laptop), and...scroll through the offerings.

There are Yogas and Ideapads, as well as Thinkpads...of all models. I always prefer the P, T, and X models of Thinkpads...but to be honest, the L series is decent, and some of the Yoga models are pretty darned good too, esp the Thinkpad based Yogas and Yoga Pros (there are some Ideapad based Yogas too..a little less good).

Price wise, as you'll see...you can easily land some SWEET Thinkpads with GOOD SPECS for well under a thou, under 900, under 800 even...often less.

For over 15 maybe 20 years I've leveraged that site ..to even get laptops for myself. Even though I can purchase brand new laptops wholesale myself, I've gotten higher end models...for far less money...from this site. Example...my prior laptop was the cream of the crop of all ultrabook laptops...the coveted Thinkpad Carbon X1. The model I bought from the factory outlet was MSRP of around $1,750.00. I picked it up for $860.00.

The factory outlets, this is where they unload production overruns, demo models, some returns, and...most of them are actually computers which came off lease. Many big companies will lease truckloads of computers for short term projects, like 6 months or 9 months or a year or maybe two. At the end of the lease, all the computers go back. The factory will take those..."refurb" the ones that were opened and used...and sell those. STILL with a warranty. And...often there will be a good percentage of those truckloads of computers that were never even taken out of the box. They'll sell those at the factory outlet as new....however, still with a nicely reduced price.

Recommend check 'em out. Bookmark the site. For many clients of mine with low budgets, who have a hard time springing for new computers, I'll send them links to computers I choose from that site. They purchase them, I receive them...prep them, and...put them into use. I'd rather my clients use a factory refurb good biz grade model over consumer grade junk...any day of the week, because I have to support them. And I practice what I preach (because I've bought myself probably a half dozen computers from that store).

Circling back to wrap this up, the client has elected to keep the LG Gram 2-in-1 that we acquired and to use an Edimax WiFi 5 nano adapter in place of the on-board WiFi card. I've disabled the on-board card and the machine is using the nano adapter exclusively and is getting way more than adequate speed for this customer's needs. If it had not been for the WiFi card issue, this machine was almost indistinguishable from brand new, and getting an i7-11th Gen LG Gram 2-in-1 at the $500 price point is not likely to come around again soon. The seller is giving a partial refund as well.

I have managed to do one of my magic epoxy repairs on the old laptop's lid and the metal parts that hold the hinges that affix to it. Since a new screen for the thing was only $70, and I've got everything apart anyway, I just decided to go that route as far as screen replacement goes. I hope to have the whole thing back together before the end of the week if the screen arrives promptly. As much as I hate touchscreens myself, it will be nice to have a single machine in the household that has one, particularly for testing out screen reader behaviors under Windows if trying to access by the touchscreen rather than the keyboard.

I always trust my gut, when it comes to these assemblies and never rely on part #s from the back of the screen

You must have a better gut than I do - haha. I ALWAYS us the actual part number. Too many broken promises from trying to do it otherwise. We never order a proprietary part without having the unit in our possession so we can confirm the actual part number.

You must have a better gut than I do - haha. I ALWAYS us the actual part number. Too many broken promises from trying to do it otherwise. We never order a proprietary part without having the unit in our possession so we can confirm the actual part number.
The reason is, there are several manufacturers producing the exact same item. When I look for a display assembly, I will choose one with the correct laptop model #. I'm not going to have the seller tear one apart to get the part # from the screen itself. It would defeat the purpose of buying the whole assembly already put together.

BTW, any other part, I do buy the actual part number. I was only talking about display assemblies.

Ahh, I see - you're buying used pulls - makes sense. We've had enough bad experience with that that we avoid it unless there is absolutely no other option.
Exactly. But only on display assemblies. I get a lot of customers with bad screens, either broken or big blobs on the display. Instead of replacing the screen, I find it easier to replace the entire assembly, especially if their back cover is as bad as their display. This way, they get a new back cover and display. Takes about 10-15 minutes in labor, tops.

@ThatPlace928

She wants a laptop and I don't do custom builds, ever. On the one occasion where I did want custom builds (and that's desktop) someone else built them.

I've never even heard of a laptop custom build.
I remember back in the day I remember there was a company that did custom build laptops like I mean way back in the day. Of course they are not around anymore because well economics. Anyways this reply didnt help you but just saying.

Here is a place iv been getting screens from. I have been ordering from them for the past 13 years. Very good Very Quick and if there is an issue they are really good about replacements. These guys are from Canada (I know, an actual Canadian company in the world of computers) but they do ship from the states Las Vegas and Newark

I looked up your screen from them

Check them out.

Here is a place iv been getting screens from. I have been ordering from them for the past 13 years. Very good Very Quick and if there is an issue they are really good about replacements. These guys are from Canada (I know, an actual Canadian company in the world of computers) but they do ship from the states Las Vegas and Newark

I looked up your screen from them

Check them out.
I use them and, I believe, many other members do, as well. They have great prices. I get mine from Vegas, since it's closest to me.

I remember back in the day I remember there was a company that did custom build laptops like I mean way back in the day. Of course they are not around anymore because well economics. Anyways this reply didnt help you but just saying.
Are you thinking of Framework perhaps? I had one in last week and it was sweet, looking very much like a MacBook Pro in motherboard design and quality.

Back