Scammers are remoted into my client right now...

katz

Reaction score
I got a call a half hour ago...

A residential client, Sr. citizen (mid 60's) I've done work for, for over two years now...He runs his own plumbing business, is a smart guy, but not tech savvy at all. Anyway, he got one of those pop up 1-800 scam browser windows while surfing the net & the recorded message to call them for virus removal...

...which he did, they remoted in and showed him a bunch of viruses on the pc, errors, etc. The tech, a gentleman with a heavy middle eastern accent told him he was from Symantec and could clean this up for $250 for a 5 yr. plan and a lifetime virus free guarantee.

So, he let them do it. Then he calls me and runs it all by me for confirmation. Of course, I tell him what it is, a scam, and that it has the potential of running into huge credit card charges & a messed up pc...but he decides to continue with their repair anyway.

Since I hate to see anyone get taken across, I offer to remote in to see what they are doing, he thinks about it, but declines my offer as they told him not to touch the pc while the repairs are in progress as it will cause problems.

So, I drop it at that, tell him good luck and call me back if he needs me. No sense in trying to convince him otherwise, they talked a good game & have him on the hook. I figure I'll either get a call from him later today/tomorrow when the pc is really hosed, or he'll call them back for more fixin'.

I try to educate all of my clients not to go in for these scam deals, but it's amazing how they fall for it. Even my mother-in-law almost got hooked awhile ago, but in the end, before she handed over her credit card, she put them on hold & called me for instruction.

I see a potential large $$$ repair in my future to undo what mess they did. If fact, I really see a nuke & pave, as I cannot be certain if there are any keyloggers, rootkits, etc. placed on the pc by them.

SO that's my Saturday afternoon. I'm done work for the day, time to get outside & have some fun! Just thought I would share with you guys. We've all been there, you just can't get through to some people... o_O

Wow!!! Don't know what to say. Interesting enough I was at a customer's site, home based business husband and wife, a week and a half back to look at the husband's machine. The wife called me over as she actually had one of those pop up right then and there. Posting a vid for everyone to see what they look like.

It sounds like you did all you could besides driving to his house and disconnecting him from the internet to stop them. I hate the people that ask for advice or confirmation but then ignore everything you have to say. It is like they just enjoy wasting your time.

Has anyone else had a remote scammer log in while you were working on it?

Twice now I've had a customer bring int their computer after wising up to the scam part way through. They shut down their pc and bring it in hours later, and when I boot it up I see then start trying to take control again.

Like really? They keep a session open that long and keep trying after getting cussed out and disconnected?

It sounds like you did all you could besides driving to his house and disconnecting him from the internet to stop them. I hate the people that ask for advice or confirmation but then ignore everything you have to say. It is like they just enjoy wasting your time.

Maybe I am just an ass but if you are going to call me after you let the scammer in and you hear my advice and STILL let the scammer continue then I really don't want to hear from you again. If he did call me back I'd really have a hard time not telling him that he would be better served by calling one of my competitors.

Maybe I am just an ass but if you are going to call me after you let the scammer in and you hear my advice and STILL let the scammer continue then I really don't want to hear from you again. If he did call me back I'd really have a hard time not telling him that he would be better served by calling one of my competitors.

He is a hard guy to deal with, constantly talks over you and finishes your sentences for you...

Annoying guy to deal with to be sure, but I charge accordingly...lol

So, he let them do it. Then he calls me and runs it all by me for confirmation. Of course, I tell him what it is, a scam, and that it has the potential of running into huge credit card charges & a messed up pc...but he decides to continue with their repair anyway.

I began to cringe when I read this. Ignorance is bliss. He will be calling you in the future and like you stated, charge accordingly. I've had two clients have this happen and I charge them accordingly. If they don't want to listen when I send out my newsletters and warm them about this stuff before it happens face to face, they can pay for it when it does occur.

Has anyone else had a remote scammer log in while you were working on it?

Twice now I've had a customer bring int their computer after wising up to the scam part way through. They shut down their pc and bring it in hours later, and when I boot it up I see then start trying to take control again.

Like really? They keep a session open that long and keep trying after getting cussed out and disconnected?

Yes it was, very interesting to say the least lol.

Reactions: GTP
Had a long-time customer call me on Saturday. Let the guy on his computer, but disconnected when the scammer said they could fix it all for $495 :eek:

I'm going out there this week to see what kind of damage was done. I've warned him multiple times about this, so if there are problems he's getting my higher rate.

It's really amazing how convincing these guys are. I had a friend who let one on his computer, when I told him he'd been scammed he told me "no, they really did a good job fixing all the problems". Had a client who let them onto her computer but realized it was a scam and refused to give them money - they deleted all her files, but, fortunately, forgot to empty the recycle bin. I can't tell you how many little old lady's computer's I get dropped off that have a 6 or 12 month old "receipt" from some scammy computer service as a text file on their desktop. And I've got a form letter already written up for the times I try to get my client's money back from the credit card companies.

I take 3-5 calls a week from clients with the screaming pop-ups on their computer and always tell them to just restart and see if things are better before bringing me the system. They can end up being good business for us, but at what cost?

All I can say is if he gave $250 away to the scammers, I'd probably charge him
a good 50% on top to fix their mess. If he has money to throw away, why not
throw it away right into your pocket.

It's really amazing how convincing these guys are. I had a friend who let one on his computer, when I told him he'd been scammed he told me "no, they really did a good job fixing all the problems".
Some of them actually do fix the customers issues if they pay. We like to throw all these companies under the blanket of "scammers" but some of them are really just very expensive tech services that actually do fix the problem the customer is having. As long as they know how to fix it of course. If they don't, then they still charge for all the other "work" they did.

This is a one that just came in and haven't seen before. I wonder if most people let them remote in because they think that the fake microsoft or google is going to fix it for free until it is too late. A lot of the fake scammers I have dealt with have been so rude over the phone, it makes it even harder for me to believe how successful they are at it.

IMG_0754.JPG

Some of them actually do fix the customers issues if they pay. We like to throw all these companies under the blanket of "scammers" but some of them are really just very expensive tech services that actually do fix the problem the customer is having. As long as they know how to fix it of course. If they don't, then they still charge for all the other "work" they did.
Sorrry, but I disagree! Fix the issues how? By uninstalling legitimate AV and installing "Super Antivirus Defender," or "Super Security Shield," "Driver Genius" or "IOBit System Tuneup" and any one or more of millions of others?
That is not, nor will it ever be, a "fix." o_O

Sorrry, but I disagree! Fix the issues how? By uninstalling legitimate AV and installing "Super Antivirus Defender," or "Super Security Shield," "Driver Genius" or "IOBit System Tuneup" and any one or more of millions of others?
That is not, nor will it ever be, a "fix." o_O
No ****, but some of them don't do that. I had a customer with an outlook issue and pop ups/toolbars, I told her she could bring it and it'd be ready next day. Wasn't quick enough for her, so she called up her "email support" she found on google. They charged nearly $500, but fixed her issue with outlook, and when she brought it in later in the week to have us "double check" it was clean as a whistle with the tech support .txt file reciept on the desktop. Everything about it sounded like the typical scammer, but because she was willing to pay they actually fixed it. Maybe she just found a guy who was still human and actually had sympathy for those he was duping. I've only heard about them doing the actual work twice in 5 years, but it can happen!

Reactions: GTP
No ****, but some of them don't do that. I had a customer with an outlook issue and pop ups/toolbars, I told her she could bring it and it'd be ready next day. Wasn't quick enough for her, so she called up her "email support" she found on google. They charged nearly $500, but fixed her issue with outlook, and when she brought it in later in the week to have us "double check" it was clean as a whistle with the tech support .txt file reciept on the desktop. Everything about it sounded like the typical scammer, but because she was willing to pay they actually fixed it. Maybe she just found a guy who was still human and actually had sympathy for those he was duping. I've only heard about them doing the actual work twice in 5 years, but it can happen!

Ok, I apologise...Sorry. I really should read the post fully and not give them a "cursory scan!"
After re-reading your initial post it seems I did totally miss your point!
My comment/reply was purely in the context of "scammers." :)

What could be more valuable than having all those 'events' in event viewer fixed for but a mere $300-$400....

Back