System will not power off

frase

Reaction score
When I got there the system booted up there was no issue, the issue was a boot loop, so I though ok failed update.
Then I ran SFC than ran fine, then was about to run DISM when the error came up

"Page Fault In Non Paged Area."

Now due to my experience, I may be wrong though this generally points to a RAM module issue or sequence issues.
So I powered it off, Removed one Module and placed it into Slot A [2 x8GB] and left the other out.
It then completed an update, which I thought may have been the issue in the first place.
I then ran a stress test on the module for about five minutes under heavy load and was fine.
I then did the same for the other, fine then both and no issue.
Then I used both with the 1/3 configuration.

So that I think was that the modules were in the wrong slot locations, which I thought odd.
I did not have the time to run a MemTest+ as was onsite.

So after that I ran SFC and DISM, repaired any integrity and system health issues. I then powered down and it would not shut down, fans RGB etc stay on for infinity. So I had to hard shutdown via power button.

Checked all relative power saving settings switched off any that were on in -

- USB
- WIFI
- SLEEP
- PCI EXPRESS

Powered off system and still hung, no power down

-Removed GFX Drivers via DDU
-Installed new

Still power issue, so in the end I had to advise the client to Hold Shift+Power to force the shutdown as I could not figure out as to why.
I think it maybe an update issue, so am looking more into that. As it never did this before the update was installed, that caused this issue in combination to failing due to the RAM issue as well.

Has anyone came across this out there - is running

Win11 Pro [ unsure of exact version ]
Aurous Board & Aurous 3070Ti with Corsair RAM.

I then ran a stress test on the module for about five minutes under heavy load and was fine.
Faulty Ram probably wouldn't prevent the computer from shutting down, but a 5 minute memory test is basically useless unless the stick is so bad that it would cause a blue screen every couple of minutes. The longer you run a memory diagnostic the more accurate the results will be. I normally run the memory diagnostic overnight for several hours. I think the standard is four passes with memtest 86. I don't remember exactly though because I don't use memtest very often. I usually run a memory diagnostic using either PC Doctor Service Center or PC-check.

Yes as I stated was onsite. Worked so unless I get a callback. It was usefull in this instance as I wanted the RAM to run full load.

Though the power off issue was my concern. I did not state that the RAM was the cause either. That was the page fault issue. As I said it has to be the update causing the failure to shutdown procedure.

I always favored Prime95 over memtest86. Prime95 stresses the memory instead of just checking for a response. Lately though I've seen reference more and more to Karhu for intense memory checks but haven't checked it out yet.

I think with those symptoms, I would have pushed to take the machine back to the bench for proper hardware tests & a hard look at the event logs.

I think with those symptoms, I would have pushed to take the machine back to the bench for proper hardware tests & a hard look at the event logs.
It was one who could not be without the system. I advised them I can do what I can do onsite, if problem arises I will be required to take the system. I am still looking into an update issue or the Aorus hardware in itself within BIOS.

Page Fault in a Non-Paged area is either defective RAM, or a damaged / faulty device driver.

So yeah...

back to the bench!

Hardware diagnostic battery
EFI / BIOS update
All other firmware updates
All driver's updated

If THAT still doesn't fix it... yanked drive to perform an anti-malware scan from a known clean OS to remove root kits.

It has nothing to do with powering on. It would not eliminate a power issue anyway if I did. I would still need to find the source of why it did not power off in the correct manner. I followed up with the client and everything is fine.

Back