Thinking of calling it quits...

...btw, you're the reason your business is drying up. Not the other way around.

Actually, I thought this myself. When you report that clients are suddenly yelling at you, there is a communication problem. Seems to me that you let the wrong person go. Your former technician was probably communicating and able to keep things on an even keel, much to your benefit. I can't think of anything an office manager can do, other than cost money. As an owner, I have to be capable of everything from scrubbing out a toilet, to being able to configure and setup a clients new network.

If you really want to get out of the business, fine. If you are looking for a higher power to convince you to stay, Technibble probably isn't it. If, however, you are looking to change things while you still have a chance, then this place is the ticket. It is all what you make it, and attitude is probably what is hurting you.

I have to agree, if you are consistently seeing the same issues over and over again (like customers not being happy with your service), then you are either attracting the wrong people to your business, or you are doing something wrong. Maybe you need to look further into targeting a higher tax bracket and getting a handle on quality control. Also, cheap customers typically mean bad customers, more reasonable customers who understand that you get what you pay for and that you pay more for quality are attracted to higher prices, not the lowest.

Last week I busted my @ss to get one guy's laptop done in 1 day. When he picked it up I asked him for his claim slip (wasn't there when it was dropped off, didn't know him from Adam). He started yelling at me that it was in the truck and if I was going to make him walk out and get it. I tried explaining nicely why we need the slip and he just started yelling at me more.

Maybe 10% of people remember any kind of claim sheet even when told they need it to claim their equipment. I'm surprised when anyone actually does bring their form. That's why we either ask for their picture ID or sheet. Problem solved. These are some little bullsh*t easily handled things you have listed. If these things are the best reasons you can list for throwing in the towel, I think you've lost your interest or heart for this. If that's the case there isn't any forum post that's bringing that back.

It's been a decent ride, I guess I just want to enjoy computers again and what they can do. Not (for the 1,000th time) explain that Firefox is just another browser, not virus protection and that "No, I didn't cause you to get a virus 2 weeks after your computer left my shop"!!!

Can someone explain why I should keep doing this?

If you just want to enjoy computers again, be a hobbyist. Helping people with them and personal interest in them are two completely different things. I know plenty of folks who like them, but wouldn't want to help people with them if they had too. Some of the same folks I've helped have many times asked me how I can do this? You either have a knack for it or you don't.

So no, there really is a reason YOU should keep doing this.

Maybe 10% of people remember any kind of claim sheet even when told they need it to claim their equipment. I'm surprised when anyone actually does bring their form. That's why we either ask for their picture ID or sheet. Problem solved. These are some little bullsh*t easily handled things you have listed. If these things are the best reasons you can list for throwing in the towel, I think you've lost your interest or heart for this. If that's the case there isn't any forum post that's bringing that back.

I agree with ATM here, we are actually paperless for the most part, unless someone specifically asks for a paper ticket. Each customer comes in, shows us their ID if we do not recognize them and that's it. Less hassle.

I would pack the shop in and go back to working from home. Cut your overhead and see if repairing is really what you want to do.

I think it is a bit immature and unreasonable to say things like "you are the problem" without really knowing the situation.

yes in general we are all responsible for our own success and failures and maybe it is true someone needs a wake up call to break from a negative spiraling attitude but without really knowing what is going on it is just flack talk that does little but make yourself feel superior for no particular good reason.

We do not know the number of new competitors who entered his market, the number of lost jobs in his city or county due to structural changes.

Let's remember the OP did say this was mostly just a rant... so i don't think it helps to get too accusatory about his attitude, etc.

I am seeing some great advice on this board though. I think this might be material for a new thread but I'm wondering - what business models are seeing a profit? I'm making more than I have in the past 10 years. A lot of that is attributed to growth over time but here are the basics of our model:

no storefront
lease a small office space for workbench, phone support, tools, inventory (but used to be out of my garage at one time)
little to none residential
onsite and remote small business support
60% managed service contracts, 40% break-fix
only a PT office manager
charge enough to steer clear of deadbeats

Last edited:
You can be a victim or you can be a success. You can't be both.

The reality is that despite economy (a popular excuse) and competitors, people are still using and buying computers, more now than ever. If they're not using your services, they're using someone elses. Your job is to find out why and what it takes to get them to use yours.

As human beings we attract things into our lives, depending on where we are at in our own lives. You've heard the sayings before:

Like attracts like.
Birds of a feather flock together.
If you want to fly with eagles, stop swimming with the ducks.

You're attracting these "bad customers" as you call them. You need to own it and ask yourself why.

Empowering you with excuses will lead to one thing: Being bankrupt and/or poor. Do you want to be bankrupt and/or poor? If you do Scarpeli has some words of wisdom for you.

I agree with ATM here, we are actually paperless for the most part, unless someone specifically asks for a paper ticket. Each customer comes in, shows us their ID if we do not recognize them and that's it. Less hassle.

Right, we ask for claim ticket OR other id (driver's lic. Etc). This jerk had NOTHING, no id on him at all. He expected me to release a $1,000 laptop to him, because he said, 'that one's mine'.

While I agree wholeheartedly with the "adapt and overcome" and "don't be a victim" school of thought, it sounds to me that the OP has lost the desire to fight on. After a 9yr run, there's no shame in walking away if the fire isn't there anymore. Why be miserable doing something you no longer enjoy? Who knows, this may be the start of an exciting new chapter.

If, on the other hand, you still have a passion for this line of work, or no viable alternatives, it might be time to dig deep and make a stand. I'm sure many here would be willing to continue to share their valuable insights and experiences to help you along.

Either way, best of luck...whichever path you decide to take.

Thanks for the input guys. I really appreciate the feedback. I think after 9 years I need a change. My attitude has suffered, probably from a combination of some bad customers, slow business, & lack of desire. I think I want to get back into programming and rediscover my love for technology.

Right now I'm leaning to taking this business out of the shop, cutting overhead. Do this part-time and work with my steady stream of on-site customers that have been with me for years. It's mainly the 'walk-in' customers that are jerks, lately. They aren't all jerks, most are still happy with the service I provide. It's just the jerks have more of an impact on me, since I don't have the steady stream of business coming in.

Here's something that I know recently happened. I know of a guy that had a great one man shop that decided on his own to switch chapters and moved away from here to another state. After he landed a good job, he gave his entire business away and started fresh. Didn't keep one client, gave up all of his tools.

Something about that sounds very refreshing in a way!

I think after 9 years I need a change. My attitude has suffered.

I think that's the problem and the entire truth is in this quote. When you lose your fire, your clients know it. They sense it, feel it. They respond accordingly. IF you want to pack it in, do it. It sounds like you need to. If nothing else step back and recharge.

It's not the clients, it's you. I have "difficult" clients too, don't get me wrong. But they're not "difficult" because of me, it's because they're stressed and frustrated. They may be in a difficult place. They don't mean to take it out on us, we're just there and thus happen to experience the physical manifestation. I have two choices. I could either own that or help them. I get it, because I've been a "difficult" customer many times. Those "difficult" clients become my best, most loyal clients.

I really appreciate the feedback.

You are going to go through ups and downs. In the past few decades I have been in some very dark places with my business. The way I pulled out of collapsing was to assess what was REALLY wrong. I didn't lie to myself and didn't look for any easy excuses. When I was able to recover each time I found that while some of the blame was not my fault, a lot of it really was.

Sometimes this is a thankless job. Sure we get paid, but we often put in so much to get a job done and then the client is out the door and all you got is a few bucks in the "till", there is no real reward for your effort. Sometimes you kill yourself, make no money and the customer ends up being grumpy and it all feels like its your fault. Sometimes you try to fix something and end up making it worse. In the end its just some money coming in to pay bills, no big "pat on the back" or accolades for what you have done. Tomorrow you will do the same thing and the same the next day and the next.

Every now and then I come into my shop and wish I wasn't there. Why can't somone else "spin the screwdriver" for the next 8 hours so I can go have fun. But this is the life we chose, nobody forced it on us. Sometimes it sucks to be us, but this is what we do. But remember, it's not just us who go through this.

I know a guy who owns a pizzeria, looks like a fun place to work, but he has told me that some days he would rather put a bullet in his head than to roll out another lump of dough, spread sauce on it and cover it with cheese. "I have a brain, but look at what I do for a living, I do this 50-100 times a day and then go home" is what he's told me. I know a guy who drives a cab, imagine sitting in a car all day driving around the same town for 10 years, driving all day, but going nowhere.

I think in the end you pick a career and either work to make it fun and interesting or you make it your prison. When things seem down YOU have to figure out how to make it better. NOBODY but you cares about your business and NOBODY but you can make it better.

You have skills that you would be throwing away if you "move on" to something else. I think RIGHT NOW you should spend A LOT of time really thinking about what is wrong and what you can do to fix it before you call it quits. It would be a real shame if you went on to something new and you ended up hating that too. This really is one of those "life and death" situations that requires ALL your time and concentration to resolve.

Every time I feel down about what I do I figure out what is wrong and figure out a way to fix it. It's an ongoing process, it's never going to be perfect, but I manage to keep doing this and not throwing in the towel when I am feeling down and looking for a way out.

I've been fixing computers since the early 1980's and with all the ups and downs I managed to survive. Right now I am sitting in a comfortable chair in an air conditioned room fixing a Dell 1525 and watch cartoons while drinking a cup of hazelnut coffee. If I quit this years ago I would be sitting on a boat shucking clams in the 90 degree sun for the afternoon trip of a fishing boat (being a mate on a party boat was my next choice back then).

So sometime in the future I might again want to "walk away" from this mess but I know this is where I belong and I will again REALLY try to figure out what is wrong and try to fix it. It's worked every time so far.

That's my 2 cents...

Last edited:
jeez.. this really devolved the second someone mentioned the whitehouse.

Leave the politics OUT, it ruined this thread. Is anyone being convinced by this thread to switch parties? Didn't think so.

so..

on the computer repair topic -

It sounds like a lot have felt that way at times, you hear this from all entrepreneurs when they are looking back on their ride. There are almost as many down times as ups, even when you become a breakout success.

In fact, all the successful guys will tell you when you are on the verge of quitting you are almost there.

Use this as motivation to make major changes, revamp everything, change your attitude, change your philosophy, etc.

If people don't like claim tickets, drop them, if people expect faster service, tell them it will be slower and then surprise them with a next-day turnaround.

If your office person isn't pulling their weight, cut their hours, you shouldn't struggle on their behalf for an extended period of time. Maybe for a short while to fix some speedbump, but not indefinitely.

You can probably help them do even better with a great reference, generally in tech when you switch jobs you make more money - you could think of it like firing them is doing them a favor :)
(it could be a big blessing in disguise, usually is if they are good at what they do)

If you ever do get to the point of wanting to quit, there are a lot of people that will buy your book of business, and maybe even hire you on with a relaxed schedule and salary.

I think about this stuff a lot - love to talk about it

This is a bit of a rant...

I've been in business for 9 years, business has been getting worse the last 2 years. Last year I had to fire my main technician and went back to doing the field work myself. I would typically do 2-3 appts. in the morning and then work on what came into the shop in the afternoon. This year isn't going any better. It's been really slow lately and there's just no money coming in. I already skipped paying myself a few times this year, so I could make payroll for my office manager.

I'm getting really depressed about this place and don't even want to come into work. The customers that yell at me and treat me like crap (even after I fix their computer) are really starting to wear on me. Last week I busted my @ss to get one guy's laptop done in 1 day. When he picked it up I asked him for his claim slip (wasn't there when it was dropped off, didn't know him from Adam). He started yelling at me that it was in the truck and if I was going to make him walk out and get it. I tried explaining nicely why we need the slip and he just started yelling at me more.

No, not all the customers are horrible, there are lots of nice ones. Just not enough to keep me in the black. Combine the slow business with the poor treatment from customers and the cost-effectiveness of computer repair in general and I think it's done for.

It's been a decent ride, I guess I just want to enjoy computers again and what they can do. Not (for the 1,000th time) explain that Firefox is just another browser, not virus protection and that "No, I didn't cause you to get a virus 2 weeks after your computer left my shop"!!!

Can someone explain why I should keep doing this?

I am just south of you and have been doing this for 8 years. I definitely go through cycles were I am busier and then slower. I only do on site and 95% business. Mostly Vancouver, Portland and Salem but sometimes further if the money is right. I can completely understand your frustration and it sounds like a bit of burn out too. As others have said I would really take some time and think it through. Make sure you are doing what is right for you. Good luck!

jeez.. this really devolved the second someone mentioned the whitehouse.

Leave the politics OUT, it ruined this thread. Is anyone being convinced by this thread to switch parties? Didn't think so.

everybody had already moved on and it doesnt seem to be ruined for anyone else, thank you. and nobody was trying to convince anyone to switch parties.

to the OP:
I don't know what the market in the Portland area is like but sometimes you do need to look at the economy and not just ignore the big elephant in the room. You weren't turning a blind eye to the economic circumstances when you started your business. I understand the maxims of you shape your own destiny, etc. but sometimes you need to change your market or even your geography to make it work. I'm assuming that when you started your business you did some sort of SWOT analysis. You need to do that again and again until you figure out what your ideal market is, how to reach them, and how to beat your competition. And then you'll need to do it again later when circumstances change. Don't pooh-pooh the "excuse" of the economy. Too many people are losing their livelihoods and retirements to the reality of the economy. Maybe the portland market is doing just fine, i don't know. but be sure to check it out and find out where the money is.

Last edited:
It would be a real shame if you went on to something new and you ended up hating that too. This really is one of those "life and death" situations that requires ALL your time and concentration to resolve.

Actually, sometimes you don't really know how good you have it until you try something else.

I support a lot of IT departments for a large University in my area. For years I've dealt with overpaid/underskilled IT folks here doing warranty repairs for them and many times just figuring things out that they couldn't. It being a public University, their salaries are pretty much public domain for all to look up. I looked up some of their salaries and over time pretty much grew envious of the kind of dough they were raking in for not really knowing what they were doing. But here I am to bail them out whenever they have a real problem living and dying by the ups and downs of small business.

So, I figured a few years ago, I've got the college degree, experience, and contacts. If anything ever comes about, I'll give it a shot. My chance finally came in the form of a Systems Administration role for a rather large department where I happen to know just about every IT person there. I figured it was a once in a lifetime opportunity. Better, consistent salary, unbelievable benefits and plenty of paid time off. I decided to accept the position and worry about selling of my part of our business later on, just to be cautious. The biggest thing was letting my long time business partners in on my decision. They were floored, but they knew I was going to do everything possible to make a smooth transition.

The two weeks in my shop before my start-date arrived were awkward. It's one thing walking away from a job, but walking away from a small business that you've rode the ups and downs of for years with others was like detaching myself from family. I started to actually get physically ill from the anxiety. The anxiety was not a fear of the unknown. I had a real good idea of what I was walking into since I've dealt with this particular department for years. The anxiety was the separation from my small business family. I couldn't wait to just get the transition out of the way and get on with my life.

The time came and I expected to go through a small amount of transition shock, even though I thought I knew what I was getting myself into. I found myself driving through campus traffic and taking way longer than it should just to travel 13 miles from my house. Just for the privilege to pay $25 per month for a parking pass (a.k.a hunting permit) to park in a lot still a good 3 miles away from my new office, to then wait for a ride on a ridiculously crowded bus. Of course, I had the option to park in the parking structure across from my office and avoid waiting for a bus. But that would have cost a couple hundred a month (with no guarantee of finding a spot). So, anyway I stepped into my new office. A brand new 15" Macbook pro was handed to me along with an iPad. Perks of the job. Both mine to keep an use for doing my work and taking home for entertainment. I went through the day with the IT folks I knew there. Learned the ins and outs of what I would be dealing with on a daily basis. All fairly easy. Just a lot more coddling of department heads, administrative staff, and untangling of bureaucracy just to do my job and a lot less being left alone with the equipment and turning screws. No big deal, I could adjust. I already knew everyone there. Didn't have anything to prove to anyone since I already knew most of these folks well. Also, they really are a good group of people. The day came and went. The bus ride back to my car and the drive back home was another hard pill to swallow.

The evening after my first day, I needed some familiarity. I decided to go for a spiritual heavy leg workout the gym I've been hitting 5 evenings a week for several years (that just happens to literally be a block away from my old shop). The familiarity felt nice. But tomorrow was another day, and if anything my anxiety that was causing me to be physically ill, seemed to feel like it was getting worse. That next morning, I got ready and left for the horrendous journey into the new office. Campus traffic sucked like I thought it would. On my way to the parking lot where I was to board the bus, I found myself actually almost subconsciously hoping to be caught in exceptionally bad traffic so I'd miss that damn bus. That didn't happen, so I figured I'd go wait with everyone else. I seen the bus in the distance approaching. It pulled up and people started boarding. I couldn't get on that bus for that trip. I walked away from it and almost instantaneously felt relief from the anxiety that had been making me ill. I contacted the department immediately to let them know I've changed my mind and felt it was time to deal with the consequences of my hasty decision. They were sort of disappointed, but surprising very understanding since they figured it was much better I make the change right away, rather than spend a couple months there and then find its not for me after they've invested so much time in me learning the ropes. Best of all, it hasn't at all hurt our business arrangement.

It may seem crazy that a rather inconvenient commute to and from work would make me walk away from a better, stable salary and excellent benefits. But it has made perfect sense to me ever since. Moral of a really long story is sometimes it may seem like anything else is better than what you've been doing. Sometimes you won't even know for sure until you take that step and try something else. But leave yourself an easy out and don't burn bridges of your life now. You may find that the little things you have now mean a lot more than what you thought.

Good post AMT, the grass isn't always greener on the other side. All jobs have a bad side to them, you can't enjoy everything about it. I don't get the pay I got as a systems consultant but then I don't have to drive 2,3,4 hours to a call, get up at 5am for a flight or journey and be working remoted into a server late at night because your software support was in Phoenix, Arizona! Sitting in traffic jams for hours is no longer, now the nearest I get I when the cows are crossing to be milked at the local farm and get delayed for 5 minutes.

I think the most important thing we have learned here today is?
Don't mention the economy or any one who has any control over it.

I feel I must contribute this:

If you voted for barak hussain obama to prove you were not a racist,now you must vote against him to prove you are not an idiot.

But I do agree with most, if your done and have a place to go, move on.
I am about 50% residential and I hate it, I would love to be in a position where I had no human contact

Back