[REQUEST] What to do with 182 sticks of ECC RAM + lots of server NICs?

Appletax

Reaction score
I've got 182 sticks of ECC server RAM from a hospital for free. Got about 165 sticks of 16GB DDR3 and 17 sticks of 32GB DDR4 that add up to 3.18TB. I don't know if they work. I could sell them to a recycler for about $11 per pound, so I'd only get a few bucks. I see I could get like $500 - $600 for DDR4. I do not have a server so I have no way to test it. Should I get some sort of cheap used server? Is there dedicated RAM testing hardware for a reasonable price?

I also have a bunch of server NICs from the hospital. What do I do with them? There's a variety of them. Got Ethernet and fiber ports. I don't want to deal with testing them.

Would be nice to sell big lots of them to save on shipping and time. I want to get rid of them pretty quickly

Pics:

I would simply sell them with the proviso: "Working when removed. If there is an item that's DOA, please contact me."

There is no point in exhaustively testing what you have every reason to believe works just fine, and you need to be ready to refund money if there are a couple of odd items that have "gone dead" since removal.

Buying this sort of thing means assuming risk of DOA for very great cost savings, though refunds for DOA are entirely reasonable for any buyer to request, and should be given if that happens.

eBay?

A lot of (10) 16GB DDR3 ECC is listed at $40. So 16 x $40 = $640

Seller notes: “Freshly pulled from a working system and are in excellent condition. Fully inspected and ready for reuse.” and Freshly pulled from a working system and are in excellent condition. Fully inspected and ready for reuse. You will receive a mixed lot of 10 SK Hynix 16GB 2Rx4 DDR3-1600 PC3-12800 RDIMM ECC Server Memory.

Contrarian opinion - list them as "As Is" - no refunds, and take the consummate price hit for doing so. The value of your time dealing with unscrupulous buyers is more than you will receive. Unless you have a lot of time on your hands and are experienced at ebay sales, that is, then have at it.

Contrarian opinion - list them as "As Is" - no refunds, and take the consummate price hit for doing so. The value of your time dealing with unscrupulous buyers is more than you will receive. Unless you have a lot of time on your hands and are experienced at ebay sales, that is, then have at it.

I don't consider that contrarian at all. It's just another option, and a perfectly legitimate one provided you know that you are not literally selling items which are pretty much guaranteed to be DOA, which is definitely not the case here.

But no matter what you do, don't guarantee that they'll work. There's a risk of the possibility of DOA.

I don't think the OP pulled them from working servers. They were just given to him. Besides having a server to do testing doesn't mean that they're good. I'd just shout around ebay to get an idea of pricing for condition unknown. Make a point that it all came from one place of business.

Looks like most of your "network cards" are in fact Fibre Channel HBA's used for connecting servers to SAN storage.

I imagine very expensive back in the day but unfortunately for 8GB FC that day was over a decade ago.
Not sure they hold much value now but worth sticking on eBay to see what happens. Always the chance someone stuck running legacy hardware needs this kind of thing and willing to pay a premium for it.

List them in lots of 10 on eBay. If anyone complains about getting a bad stick, just offer them a refund/replacement no questions asked. Out of 182 sticks there's bound to be a few that are bad. It's not worth the time/effort/expense to test them all. Let the buyers do that. Thankfully RAM is small and cheap to ship so it's not a big deal if you have to ship replacements or take a shipment back and offer a refund. Make sure that you select "free returns - seller pays for return shipping" otherwise you'll get people who change their mind and to avoid having to pay to ship them back, will claim they're defective. eBay heavily favors the buyer nowadays, so even if you sell something "for parts or not working" and "seller does not accept returns," if the buyer complains, eBay will force you to accept their return and pay for the return shipping anyway, even if their complaint is "it doesn't work" and you listed it "for parts or not working!" The general public is a nightmare to deal with and online buyers are even worse.

Back