What's in your tool bag?

Pesti

Reaction score
Although I've been "involved" with computers for about 12 yrs now, It's just recent that I've actually decided to try it as a job. Anyway, I have no doubt
that all of us have "special tools" that we can't do without. Like the perfect
sized phillips, with reversable tip sizes. Or that monkey rigged, whatchamacallit
that works perfectly for.....(you know, the one you keep saying your gonna patent lol)
I would like to know what you think are the:

*Must Haves

*Should Haves

And for fun, how about
the "wish someone would make's", or maybe something you've come up with.

I am asking because I know that there is stuff I should get and don't have yet
I need to watch my pennies and have to shop well, and I like comprehensive lists,,,lol
Pesti:p

Other than a variety of phillips head screw drivers my most used tools are Tech Tools 3.0 which is a variety of Soft tools (super anti spyware-CCleaner) http://www.whatsmypass.com/techtools-3-0

I use Puppy Linux for accessing drives when the OS has crashed. http://puppylinux.org/main/index.php?file=Overview and Getting Started.htm free download

Hard drive reader - I use this thing all the time http://tekgems.com/Products/tg-usb-sata-ide-25-35.htm

Other than that alot of the stuff I carry in my tool case is overkill, but there if i need it.

SDC10162.JPG

Here's a picture of the contents of my PC tool kit.
As I also offer AV and network installs I do have many other tools (hand tools and power tools) but these days 90% of my work is IT support so these are my main tools.

Roughly clockwise here is a run down:

• Tool bag with lots of internal and external pockets. Also in the lid compartment are clear plastic zip up (sewn in) document holders. Great for job sheets, invoices etc.
  • Blank DVD and CD.
  • Hand gel cleaner.
  • Multi-Format card reader - USB.
  • Multi Meter
  • Cable Ties
  • 6, 7 and 8mm spanners. I do some work repairing POS kiosks and they use a lot of these site bolts and nuts. Also some sockets of smaller sizes. Approx. 4-12mm.
  • Security bits set, torx, wing etc.
  • Bit screwdriver. Size 1 posi and chisel screwdrivers. I taped up the top so from above (when in my case) I can easily identify which of the two is the posi.
  • Torx Screwdrivers and small screwdrivers. Also some Artery forceps for those difficult to pick-up screws.
  • USB Keyboard.
  • More cable ties (larger ties).
  • PS2 Mouse/Keyboard USB adaptors.
  • DVI to VGA and DVI to HDMI adaptros.
  • Flash drive.
  • 3G Data Modem
  • Mini USB mouse.
  • UV Security pen.
  • Antec PSU Tester.
  • Acer Aspire One Netbook and cordless mouse (and PSU) mouse uses a micro receiver which I leave in the Netbook.
  • IDE, laptop IDE and SATA to USB adaptor (Worth it's weight in gold!) + external PSU which I always use although some can power off USB.
  • Small crate for the above.
  • RJ45 plugs and crimpers.
  • External USB DVDRW.
  • Small Bosch li-ion electric screwdriver. I rarely use this for PC work. More so when working on the Kiosks. At one point I was working on 5-6 per day and I worked out this little tool was saving me about 15mins on each Kiosk!

It all fits very well into the bag and it's not too heavy to carry around. Everything is to hand, I don't have to empty the bag to get to the tools I need.

There are two items missing from the picture. I keep a plastic popper-shut wallet with sets of screws in. I have loads of PC screws and now and again sort out some little packets of 4 screws of the same size and then put the packets in one big packet. Saves time when fitting new drives etc.

Also, I have a CD wallet with various discs in.

Would be very keen for others to post the same sort of thing up. May be there are a few tools I don't know of that can save me a lot of time.

[*]Acer Aspire One Netbook and cordless mouse (and PSU) mouse uses a micro receiver which I leave in the Netbook.

Do you like having a Netbook over a laptop? I have a laptop, and I have always straid away from net books due to their low performance. Not that I am a youtube freakazoid or anything, but I read that they have trouble playing HD quality videos, and that pretty much turned me off because thats a very basic function. I would like to have one due to the small size, but for more computing power my laptop is worth the extra bulk.

Lately I was at a well known computer retail store, and I've seen a very small (actually, it's tiny) foldable (spelling?) USB keyboard. I've never used it so far, but at least you don't have to go round with a large keyboard.

Can't find a descent picture of it opened, but this is the keyboard when closed:

PCAC263-3.jpg

Actually, it's not even the keyboard I have. Mine is Targus. You can search for 'Targus Bi-Fold'. I've bought for around €10 :)

I swear my backpack must weigh at least 40 pounds. It is so bad that the carry handle actually broke. The biggest challenge for me is trying to have two of everything so I don't have to worry about leaving something behind when I go on a service call.

Do you like having a Netbook over a laptop? I have a laptop, and I have always straid away from net books due to their low performance. Not that I am a youtube freakazoid or anything, but I read that they have trouble playing HD quality videos, and that pretty much turned me off because thats a very basic function. I would like to have one due to the small size, but for more computing power my laptop is worth the extra bulk.
The netbook I use purely for work. It fit's in my bag easily, is light and compact. Impresses customers when I use it.

It's too small for everyday use.

Personally I love mine, I don't need HD for what I use, as long as I can surf do my typing and such I have my desktop for everything else.
I mostly use it for network testing and things of that sort, I have an EEE so I have Ubuntu Netbook Remix on it and I love it worked straight out of the USB key(instead of box) and the keyboard is perfect for my hands. Also 6-7 hours battery life is a HUGE seeling point.

I haven't upgraded it yet but even with 1GB of RAM it runs awesome on linux.
I plan on putting in 2GB of RAM and a 40GB SSD so I should see quite an improvment.

Oh I love my netbook.. I upgraded the battery to a 9cell battery, which give me 4 to 5 hours. Netbooks are great for just doing tech work in the field. You need to watch HD videos or play games. And its alot better then caring a laptop that is 3times its size :)

I have always liked the toolkits by a company called JENSEN. They used to be a big electronics toolkit company. They have been bought by stanley tools. But it's rather high-end tool cases. I have a black toolkit that is about 10 inches thick. It is made of hard black plastic with metal rims. It has double keylocks and a combination on it. When you open it there are these pallets with pockets that hold different tools. The one I bought comes with 3 pallets inside. Originally jensen toolkits came with some of the best tools in the electronics repair business. I can't tell you what they are putting in them now. Back then a pair of micro-pliers might be $25 bucks, but they were very well made, and super high precision steel.
As time went on, I aquired more toolkits. One of them is a giant behemoth I pull around on wheels, like a cart. I almost never need that one though, but it has a ton of tools in it for everything.
I got another hard black plastic toolkit with metal rim that is empty, and I put all my testing tools in that thing.
I got a small green metal toolkit that holds soldering equipment. Things like an assortment of mini files, soldering iron, desoldering iron, soldering iron stands, helping hand metal bases, microvises, things like that.
What is fun though, is that I now only carry a super tiny toolkit, and leave the rest of the portable stuff in the s.u.v.
Wait till I tell you what it is... Years ago I had purchased a very well made manicure kit. Over the years various nefarious individuals lost all the interior accouterments. So I have a beautiful extremely well made leather case with lots of little loops inside, and it's about 3" x 5", actually a little bit smaller than a 3x5 index card, but it's about 1.5" thick.
Now it holds... (1) a wifi scanner from targus (2) a bluetooth usb key (3) a kingston usb stick with gigabytes of repair tools (4) a kingston usb stick back up of the first one (4) an empty kingston usb stick (5) a sandisk micro usb stick that I use for virus scanning (6) a lexar firefly usb stick with INSERT installed for fixing windows machines from linux or linux machines (7) 2 raid rack keys (8) ps2 to usb mouse adaptor. (9) ps2 to usb keyboard adaptor (10) a pair of precision stainless steel forceps (11) a micro led flashlight (streamlight) (12) a super small multihead screwdriver made from solid aluminum with about 10 bits in the handle. (13) a 3 prong metal jewel grabbing tool (14) a molex/berg micro pin repair tool.
so far i've been able to repair almost everything just by reaching in my pocket. LOL.

I've got a lot a "stuff" spread out over the house. Looking to get better organized and picking up some tools that I know I still need. Just ordered a Vantec NexStar External 2.5in Hard Drive Enclosure for a spare 80GB drive I have. I need to find a good bag to house all my tools.

What about paper clips? None of you include any Emergency Optical Disc Removal Tools in your bag? :)

I'm rocking a netbook too. The thing about HD is, what benefit are you going to get from it on a 10" screen?

Back