-label maker
-some other line tester that just shoots out a tone to trace wiring
-a lot of spare frakkin batteries

Bag 3
-Cables; USB, Serial, extensions, Parallel, power, ethernet, etc
-Toolkit w/ all the normal bits, spare screws, static wrist strap, etc
-CD case with the normal fixit cds
-USB to SATA/IDE adapter
-Thermal Paste, alcohol swabs, pens, business cards, trauma shears (to open anything wrapped in that $%^* hard plastic)

Bag 4 - OttoBox Waterproof 15in Case
-MacbookPro 15 in
-Bluetooth mouse

I just like to be prepared (no I wasn't a boy scout) :D

LOL dam.. Three bags.. and here I am trying to cram everything into one massive backpack.. Had no idea i as doing it wrong.. DAM YOU!!! lol...

I haven't actually done this yet, but I intend to. Decide what it is you use onsite the most and have a small bag for that. Take the rest of your "just in case" stuff and put it in a larger plastic tote. I've heard of a few guys who put extra parts and tools not regularly used in their totes and basically leave them in the trunk for just in case. I plan to and hopefully my car don't get broke into. :eek:

Items in my repair bag

Along with the other items mentioned I carry:

• various sized empty USB external drive closures - for pulling drives out of laptops, desktops that won't boot & client needs access to ASAP
  • * Plastic test tubes for putting screws, etc in while working on system
  • Antistatic rollup mat, with antistatic wrist strap - (this is as much for client to see care I use as it is for the actual prevention of static, etc)
  • Extra power strip in package in case person isn't using one I sell it with a small markup
  • USB internal adapter - since I've been to clients who have mangled their USB ports & this helps get good connection to plug USB hub into
  • PS2 mouse & keyboard
  • USB keyboard & mouse

There are other items that I'm considering, but haven't put into play yet.

Here are my tools:
1gb, 4gb, and 8gb usb stick; one for tools, one for cleaning malware, and one for backups
Hard-back notepad, for jotting down notes
an old t-shirt, as a "lint-free cloth"
some headphones to test sound and to enjoy myself :)
a bamboo touch (i know they suck, but its just to use as a usb mouse)

CD Wallet:
Ultimate Boot CD
Bamboo touch drivers
OpenSolaris Live CD
Ubuntu and Kubuntu live CD's
A backup of my drivers (more or less for personal use)
AVG Recovery Disk
GAG Boot manager

This WILL be expanded soon

My Case

Here is the list of things that I Take with me...

1) 4 Gig USB Stick with Codysafe and a few hundred portable programs (Everything from Antivirus to Data recovery)

2) Anti Static Wristband (When I am opening a case)

3) Battery Powered Screwdriver (Yeah I know I am Lazy)

4) Extra Cable (Sata, IDE, Ect....)

5) IDE/SATA to USB ( Cost like 20 bucks, wouldn't leave home without it)

6) 2- 1 Gig USB Sticks, 2-2 Gig USB Sticks, 8- 4 Gig USB Sticks, 4- 8 Gig USB Sticks, 2 - 16 Gig USB Stick, 1 - 16 Gig USB Stick, 1- 32 Gig USB Stick, 1 320 Gig USB Drive, 1 500 Gig USB Drive

7) 1 250 Gig USB Drive with XP Installed on it

8) OEM Disks of Win98Se (haven't used it in forever but the day it comes out I am sure I will need it), Win ME, WinXP (Home, Media Center and Pro), XP 64 Bit, Windows Vista (x86 and x64 all versions), Windows 7 (x86 and x64 all versions)

9) Linux Live CD's (To many to list)

10) Zip Ties

11) Mini Screw drivers

12) PSU Tester

13) Can Of Air

14) External USB DVDRW Drive

15) Extra Sound Card, Power Supply, Internal Sata Drive (500 Gig), Internal DVDRW Drive

16) RJ45/RJ11 Cable Tester

17) Netbook

18) Portable Printer (for the car to print out invoices and such)

there are a few others but Just can't think of them right now...

19) Oh, Yeah and a POST Tester

6) 2- 1 Gig USB Sticks, 2-2 Gig USB Sticks, 8- 4 Gig USB Sticks, 4- 8 Gig USB Sticks, 2 - 16 Gig USB Stick, 1 - 16 Gig USB Stick, 1- 32 Gig USB Stick, 1 320 Gig USB Drive, 1 500 Gig USB Drive

Wow, that is a lot of USB sticks. Are these for resale?

Wow, that is a lot of USB sticks. Are these for resale?

Well the 16 & 32 Gig is for Backing up

Everything else is Just there, If they want one then I will sell it to them, I just have then for a Just-In-Case" Moment....

2 Of them (8 gig's) have Bootable Live Distro's on them

Here is the list of things that I Take with me...

1) 4 Gig USB Stick with Codysafe and a few hundred portable programs (Everything from Antivirus to Data recovery)

2) Anti Static Wristband (When I am opening a case)

3) Battery Powered Screwdriver (Yeah I know I am Lazy)

4) Extra Cable (Sata, IDE, Ect....)

5) IDE/SATA to USB ( Cost like 20 bucks, wouldn't leave home without it)

7) 1 250 Gig USB Drive with XP Installed on it

8) OEM Disks of Win98Se (haven't used it in forever but the day it comes out I am sure I will need it), Win ME, WinXP (Home, Media Center and Pro), XP 64 Bit, Windows Vista (x86 and x64 all versions), Windows 7 (x86 and x64 all versions)

9) Linux Live CD's (To many to list)

10) Zip Ties

11) Mini Screw drivers

12) PSU Tester

13) Can Of Air

14) External USB DVDRW Drive

15) Extra Sound Card, Power Supply, Internal Sata Drive (500 Gig), Internal DVDRW Drive

16) RJ45/RJ11 Cable Tester

17) Netbook

18) Portable Printer (for the car to print out invoices and such)

there are a few others but Just can't think of them right now...

19) Oh, Yeah and a POST Tester

That is a well thought out list of stuff. I like the portable printer idea, which one do you use? I also like to carry some extra RJ45 ends and a crimper along with a few 14ft patch cables. My AT&T wireless aircard has been a life saver too.

That is a well thought out list of stuff. I like the portable printer idea, which one do you use?

HP Officejet H470

I also like to carry some extra RJ45 ends and a crimper along with a few 14ft patch cables. My AT&T wireless aircard has been a life saver too.

Yeah I have RJ45 ends, RJ 11 Ends, Crimper, Stripper, and about 250 ft of bulk cat5e in my Truck, and a few other things for networking. Those are in my truck all the time, In a Hide-a-way compartment.

I have a ton of stuff in my onsite kit. Other than a belkin toolkit, my CD wallet, a USB HDD, a USB DVD drive and an Asus EEEpc I have 3 tubs for External Connectivity (cables etc), Parts & Tools and Internal & Disk. In those there all the standard cables, memory sticks, connectors for SATA to IDE to USB etc, screws, glue, tape, fans and more.

However I don't think I've used most of it. All I usually use are my USB stick of tools, my CDs and a screwdriver.

Back