Wuauclt and svchost eating up memory

xxenon

Reaction score
In the last 2 weeks I've seen 4 different machines with the same problem.
Windows loads ok, then Svchost and wuauclt (or wuaudt) rapidly use up all available memory.
I've tried different repair/ reinstall scripts for windows update, no luck.
If I turn off auto updates, problem is cured.
Machines vary: 1 HP, 1 Dell, 2 private brand. 2 AMD, 2 P4.
All are Xp SP3, updates current, virus checked with HJT, Combofix, Avira 10, MWB.
Anyone??

Did you check the logs???

Security Essentials can do this when updating on XP machines. Check if it's installed and trying to update.

Also, you can refer to this MS KB article that I believe refers to the same leak that atlanticjim mentioned.

Wow i was just going to post something about this.. It seems to be allot of computers.. 10+ Computers so far at my shop all have same issue. I have ran AV scans on them also all seem to be clean Malwarebytes, Super antispyware, Combofix, Drweb, ALL clean...the only way to resolved without restoring is to turn off the Windows Update Service.. But in my opinion thats not fixing the issue thats getting around it.. I have tried everything on google also to find the answer still no luck even the FIX svchost on technibble did not do the trick. It seems to be a issue with windows update! It mainly eats up RAM not CPU.. any1 have a fix for this?

Up to now I have had 3 PCs with this, I have reboot a PC 20 times after applying the following and it seems to be behaving itself.

Set the Page to Clear on Shutdown
Turn off Microsoft Update and just use Windows Update

Hopefully Microsoft are now aware of this, because a lot of people only have 512mb on XP, which was fine before this issue.

Thanks

I just had the same exact issue on one of my personal computers. Running Windows XP, after boot would be SLAMMED down by wuauclt, I am talking 90-99% usage. I tried everything to bring it down, but no luck. I ended up disabling the service. This is just a quick work around, when I have some time I am going to do a more in-depth anylsis of the problem.

Glad I am not the only one who has had the problem, sometimes you think you are going crazy :p

For clients, after disabling Automatic Updates, I've set Task Scheduler to run windows update twice a month.
Does anyone know if task is scheduled when pc is off, will it run on boot?

He he, M$ is not stupid.
The answer is "UPGRADE, UPGRADE, UPGRADE"

Do you really believe they released the update without testing it on serveral computers with XP?

Last edited:
For clients, after disabling Automatic Updates, I've set Task Scheduler to run windows update twice a month.
Does anyone know if task is scheduled when pc is off, will it run on boot?

The computer needs to be at least turned on for task scheduler to work. In some cases you even need to be logged on but you can set it to run even logged off but the user account running the scheduled idem must be password protected and the password set in the idem.

svchost is a file hosting other processes so it doenst tell you much just from that. Download processmonitor from http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx and look whats really running and taking CPU.

You can set it up to filter only those two files and log, check it out!

Process explorer would tell you to.

I can't believe you guys are fixing this problem by disabling automatic updates. Thats not a fix, thats not even a workaround. Thats like fixing a bad network card by telling the customer not to get on-line anymore.

Check if dot-net 4 or dot-net 4 client profile is installed, if it is remove it. I have seen problems like this associated with that. Also make sure BITS is not running like crazy in the background. If the customer uses Norton then it might be using BITS to get an update and Norton's code is supper buggy. If thats the problem uninstall Norton with the removal tool and let BITS finish. Once it has then reinstall Norton.

First and foremost track down the problem. Don't just disable the side affect.

Hi,
Just to add my name to the list of people seeing this problem - six XP machines so far.
I've tried a reinstall of Auto Update using Dial-a-fix, and another utility called Fix WU. No dice - just kicks right back in with the disk thrashing when it's finished.
Annoyingly, I haven't been able to get one of these in the workshop yet, and it's driving me mad as I know I'm going to see a load more of them.
It must be due to some rogue update during August, unless it's an interaction with some other software, but there doesn't seem to be any common factor between the PCs I've seen.
I suppose getting WU to install one update at a time, then seeing which (if any) causes a problem would be a way to go....
As for turning updates off, I think this is should be a temporary measure and the client needs informing of it, and instruction in manual updates. Then WU being turned back on when we work out what's causing it!

Cheers
Ian.

Had a laptop yesterday that, from description, I thought would be one of these. Got it up and running and svchost was through the roof. Long story short, they had a monster-sized HOSTS file that was the culprit.

For anyone still struggling with this...
Reverting to 'Windows Update' from 'Microsoft Update' cures the issue.
(http://update.microsoft.com, 'Change Settings', 'Disable Microsoft Update software etc...')

It's something to do with the way MS changed the delivery of Office updates in August.

Still a workaround rather than a fix, but at least users get the essential security updates, and I've tried frickin' everything else to sort it out with no success.

Ian

For anyone still struggling with this...
Reverting to 'Windows Update' from 'Microsoft Update' cures the issue.
(http://update.microsoft.com, 'Change Settings', 'Disable Microsoft Update software etc...')

It's something to do with the way MS changed the delivery of Office updates in August.

Still a workaround rather than a fix, but at least users get the essential security updates, and I've tried frickin' everything else to sort it out with no success.

Ian

+1 I posted this workaround mid August and it seems to resolve the issue for customers with low memory, so for the moment, i just test it on my PC to see memory usage, before I recommend customers start using Microsoft Update over Windows Update.

Thanks

Jamie,

Damnit! I just re-read your post in this thread. When I first saw it I read it as 'turn off autoupdates', so I didn't take any notice.
I'd have saved myself a week of heartache if I'd read it properly :)

Cheers
Ian.

Is there any other way to turn off Microsoft Update in XP (ie: in registry) rather than go to the Windows Update site? Whenever I install MSE, it turns it on and I have to go and disable it. Time killer. Vista and 7 are a little easier but it would be nice to have a quicker way.

Encountered my first pc with this issue today...what a nightmare! First, HDD had reverted to PIO mode (insane slowness, sometimes 1 minute before start button responded), fixed that, norton 360 install slowing stuff down, uninstalling norton screwed up internet connection, and now this! argh!

So, I'm working on fixing this issue right now, and as I understand the instructions above, I just go to the Windows Update site, Click 'Change Settings', and check the box that says 'Disable Microsoft Update software etc...' right?

Edit:

OH YEAH! MAJOR PWNAGE! COMPUTER IS RUNNING SMOOTH AS BUTTER...OR EVEN MARGARINE! W00T! W00T!
Svchost and wuauclt are no longer sucking up gobs and gobs of memory.

Last edited:
is there any other way to turn off microsoft update in xp (ie: In registry) rather than go to the windows update site? Whenever i install mse, it turns it on and i have to go and disable it. Time killer. Vista and 7 are a little easier but it would be nice to have a quicker way.

+1

i have similar problem but im using windows 7, does the process of fixing svchost is the same? please help

Back