Wuauclt and svchost eating up memory

You can disable Windows automatic updates from command line using the below command.

Code:
reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update" /v AUOptions /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

this will not work if domain group policy is enforced and users are prohibited to change the settings.

To enable automatic updates you need to set the registry value to 0. using the below command.

Code:
reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update" /v AUOptions /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

svchost.exe

i've seen all communication on this subject, those steps mentioned to fix svchost problem, would it also apply to windows 7?

please help to fix svchost problem. cheers

finally

awesome if the cmd fix works. I'm not at my computer atm but I have an old 256 MB ram machine that I try to infect/break to fix and the maxed out memory from svchost has been a constant issue. thanks in advance

Im seeing this issue more and more..Even in newer computers. I ran process explorer and it looks like its taskeng.exe which is running windows update! Ive seen it allot in Vista and XP..Not sure about 7..But this is a issue that every1 needs to look into or find how to fix!

Back