Best way to remove spray paint from laptop case?

katz

Reaction score
I have a refurb in here that the previous owner has gotten spray paint over-spray on the lid/case. I know that acetone will remove paint from metal and plastic surfaces. Has anyone here used acetone on a laptop, or have another solution for the paint removal? I'm not sure if acetone will damage the laptop surface or not.

Doubt the rubbing alcohol will work, tried that before (Not on a CPU) with no success.

I think the acetone/paint remover would be the only decent way to do it but I do think/fear it would screw up the finish on the laptop. Even worse, I suppose there could be a problem with "melting" the plastic.

Might have to do a small test area to find out.

I would try a tiny spot test with acetone (or even nail polish remover - which is primarily acetone) in an inconspicuous area first.

Plastics do not tend to have any issues with acetone, but there are often finishes on top of the plastic that might.

Another option, and you'd still need to spot test, are any one of a number of citrus-based paint stripper gels. They do a bang-up job of making most paint "peel off in a sheet" when you wipe it after treatment, but you'd need to do the same sort of spot test before slathering it on.

I depends. What type of pain and plastic. Acetone doesn't have any effect on PE's but will on other plastics and their coatings. Even then it's almost guaranteed you'll have surface blemishes even if the paint is gone. I'd do what @Moltuae and @Diggs suggested and cover it up.

Last edited:
BTW - Cleaners (including paint removal) I use in order of aggressiveness is alcohol, lacquer thinner, then MEK (methyl ethyl ketone). The last two may not be friendly with plastics.

If you're going to do all that... why not take the darned thing apart so you have just a clam shell to paint...
I suppose you could, if you plan to do a more permanent/professional job, using regular paint.

Plasti-dip is a semi-permanent rubber-like coating, which can be peeled off, should you wish to remove it (or repaint it) again later. If the plan is just to quickly tart-up the lid, it's a lot less work to mask-off than strip-down.

That's actually an incredibly clever idea. Did you ever end up using this technique and did you get the result you wanted?

We never did go that route but explored the idea as walnut was a mess. It was some time ago but even then we knew that others were using the process with good results.

You could use acetone, but be aware that acetone dissolves ABS plastics that most laptops are made of. Rub it on then wash it off.
It will probably dull the finish though.

Last edited:
Back