Best way to remove spray paint from laptop case?

Wouldn’t it be cheaper just to get new plastics? Im $100 an hour...just sayin

Dear Lord, this. Unless it's a $500+ fused touch screen, just replace the top panel.

I've got a massive pile of non-working computers that just aren't worth my time to fix. I'm talking nice stuff too. Just got a Dell XPS 9550 i7-6700HQ with 16GB DDR4 and a 1TB SSD. It has a bad motherboard but the board is like $400. I'm just going to take out the SSD and memory and throw it on eBay for a couple hundred bucks. It's barely worth my time to do that.

If a client wants to pay me to remove spray paint from the top of a laptop case, they're going to be paying way more than it's worth.

Dear Lord, this. Unless it's a $500+ fused touch screen, just replace the top panel.

I've got a massive pile of non-working computers that just aren't worth my time to fix. I'm talking nice stuff too. Just got a Dell XPS 9550 i7-6700HQ with 16GB DDR4 and a 1TB SSD. It has a bad motherboard but the board is like $400. I'm just going to take out the SSD and memory and throw it on eBay for a couple hundred bucks. It's barely worth my time to do that.

If a client wants to pay me to remove spray paint from the top of a laptop case, they're going to be paying way more than it's worth.
I have a ministry that I started where I rebuild and fix up old computers like your stack and donate them to needy families. I know what you mean about them being too expensive, if I didn't have donations from people to help buy the parts, I wouldn't be able to do it either.

I have a ministry that I started where I rebuild and fix up old computers like your stack and donate them to needy families. I know what you mean about them being too expensive, if I didn't have donations from people to help buy the parts, I wouldn't be able to do it either.

Yes, this is exactly what I do as well.

Anyway, an update here:

I tried using goo gone, didn't do anything to remove the paint. Went stronger with acetone....oh... boy!!! Started crazing/hazing the plastic! So, I went all in and wiped the entire lid down with acetone to even out the hazing effect. Got it pretty even, cleaned it up with dawn dish soap and it doesn't look too bad.

Oh yeah - the paint is still there, lol. :rolleyes:

Actually, this is a textured plastic, and I guess the remaining paint is in the little dimples of the texture, and I can't really remove it to well. I suppose I could scrub it with a toothbrush or similar...but I'm done for now. This is as good as it gets, not spending any more time with it.

Thanks to all for your suggestions!

Back