[SOLVED] Dell XPS Won't Boot w/ Dedicated GPU

Appletax

Reaction score
Solution: the BIOS might not like the GPU.

-------------------------
Dell XPS 8700

Works great with integrated GPU. Passed built-in hardware diagnostics.

Installed new RX 550 4GB and it won't even show BIOS. Card works fine in another system. PC has 460 watt PSU. Card is bus powered.

BIOS upgraded and reset. No option to set graphics output to iGPU/dGPU/auto. Just has option for Intel Multi-Display, which is disabled (enabling it does not help).

What to do?

Edit: it eventually booted, but didn't see BIOS and it's super slow to load (system works fine after loaded).

By slow, I am talking 4-6 minutes. WTF ?

XPS.jpg

Last edited:
And you set it to dGPU, correct? Did you happen to plug into the iGPU to see if it's getting signal on there (during the long boot time)?

I assume the boot drive is that SSD in your picture.

Yes, but happens with other SSD, too.

And you set it to dGPU, correct? Did you happen to plug into the iGPU to see if it's getting signal on there (during the long boot time)?

Can't set Primary Video Controller. No option. Switching HDMI cable from dGPU to iGPU = no video. Gotta wait a few minutes for video to happen.

Happens every time I restart the PC. Slow, slow, slow.

Seems to be fine and no sluggishness once booted.

Never see BIOS.

I bought this computer from a client with intentions of turning it into a cheap gaming PC to sell. It has an i7-4770.

I'd be tempted to hook up a higher wattage PSU for good measure, see if it changes its behavior.

But people ran this same GPU in a system with 230 watts at full power with no issues, so more watts is not needed ????

Plus, I am just loading up the OS, not gaming, so the PSU is not taxed (although, it certainly is taxed more than when just using iGPU).

I will try a different PSU to see if the PSU has issues. Hopefully there's no proprietary power connects.

Last edited:
We don't know if the PSU you have now is operating at its full rated capacity so if you have a PSU that can be used to test it wouldn't hurt even if it is a lower watt, since it seems it can as low as 230 Watt, this will confirm we don't have a problem with power as the behavior described so far could easily be power related.

What is the PCI-e slot the card is in speed and generation? I think that card is designed to plug into a Gen 3 x8.

We don't know if the PSU you have now is operating at its full rated capacity so if you have a PSU that can be used to test it wouldn't hurt even if it is a lower watt, since it seems it can as low as 230 Watt, this will confirm we don't have a problem with power as the behavior described so far could easily be power related.

What is the PCI-e slot the card is in speed and generation? I think that card is designed to plug into a Gen 3 x8.

Given that it has a i7-4770, it's gonna be PCIe 3.0.

I thought all PCIe 1.0+ GPUs were x16?

Cannot imagine putting a modern GPU into a smaller slot.

Will report back on PSU swap later.

Last edited:
PCI-e has 2 sizes the 1x slot size and the 16x slot size but not all 16x sized slots are running 16x I have a budget board with 2 16x slots but the second slot only runs at 8x I have seen before where the slot is even as low as 4x.

PCI-e has 2 sizes the 1x slot size and the 16x slot size but not all 16x sized slots are running 16x I have a budget board with 2 16x slots but the second slot only runs at 8x I have seen before where the slot is even as low as 4x.

PCI Express (in the "desktop" form factor) has 4 slot sizes: x1, x4, x8, x16. Named for how many lanes they have. How they are electrically wired can vary.
pcie%20slots%20differences-1.png

I feel like I don't see x8 very often. Usually a x16 connector with x16 wiring. Also you might see a 1x, 4x, or 8x with an open back so a longer card can still fit. Some boards will have the x16s all wired with 16 lanes but CPU/installed cards can alter the actual lanes available. The XPS 8700 has a 16x, a 4x (that is wired to 1x), and two 1x.

I knew that. x1, x4, x8, x16. I meant that I have never seen PCIe GPUs less than x16 in physical size.

SLI = x8 for both.

Tri SLI = x4, x4, x8?

Quad SLI = x4, x4, x4, x4? Sounds bad lol.

It could be PSU or could be the actual motherboard.

1. Not all PSU are equal. You can have a 400w PSU and a 1000w PSU and what is provided on the rails is all different, which in part powers the socket to the MB.

2. It is obviously a Dell proprietary MB so there may be a chance the 50w or whatever is needed for the GPU is not delivered to the PCI socket even though that is the spec. Dell does whatever they want when it comes to their stuff.

Tried a brand new PSU. No proprietary power connections. Didn't make a lick of difference.

Must be an issue with the mobo even though it passed built-in diags.

I am going to sell it without the GPU with warranty and see how that goes as it had no issues with no dedicated GPU. Might stay working fine without it.

Back