Interesting: M365 updates are still shown as "for Microsoft Office 2016"

@callthatgirl

I have not.

@Porthos

I cannot say, but probably not. I did my Fabs restorations prior to installing M365, but never looked at Update History during that time.

@mikeroq

Yes, it's on both machines, and in each case was installed after M365, not by hand, either. 3 days later on my machine, one day later on my partner's.

After seeing Access 2016, that has to be from an old install

And we're just going to have to agree to disagree. The machine was wiped clean, without doubt, and the only installer run was the M365 installer downloaded direct from the source.

And there are now at least 2 of us, on 3 machines, reporting this. I have zero doubt that there are many more "out there."

It's just that we must have some program in common, or another program that requires the Access 2016 database engine and that's why it's installed.

It's just that we must have some program in common, or another program that requires the Access 2016 database engine and that's why it's installed.

Not that I don't agree, but in my case it's got to have "come through" M365, as I have not even opened a single one of the MS-Access databases I have, nor can I imagine that any of the applications I have used so far would have dropped the Access 2016 engine on to my system silently.

I also know that my partner never, ever touches MS-Access, and his application collection and mine are quite different, yet it's right there on his machine, too.

nor can I imagine that any of the applications I have used so far would have dropped the Access 2016 engine on to my system silently
Apparently the Access engine is required for third party applications to interact with Access databases, including if the application has an option to export to an access database. It's possible you have an app that needs this Microsoft redistributable package, even if you aren't aware of a feature that needs it. Maybe it's even possible that an application developer incorrectly included a dependency to the engine and it gets installed automatically.

I'm leaning towards the "a component of Orifice 2016 was installed as a dependency for some other software".....
I have seen older Access components installed by 3rd party software (for the ODBC/database functionality of said 3rd party software). Or Excel components.

Does not mean the entire Access program is installed..thus you won't see it in start..programs....and you don't always see it in APPWIZ.CPL (depends on the quality/thoroughness of said 3rd party softwares installer). And it may or may not create the usual directories for Office....

@mikeroq,

Thanks for the detective work. I did install the Brother P-Touch Editor and Updater software on both machines during early setup, and never in a million years would have thought anything related to MS-Access would have been downloaded as part of that. There's no hint during the installer for either one that anything related to Access is "coming along for the ride."

I'm leaning towards the "a component of Orifice 2016 was installed as a dependency for some other software".....
I have seen older Access components installed by 3rd party software (for the ODBC/database functionality of said 3rd party software). Or Excel components.

Does not mean the entire Access program is installed..thus you won't see it in start..programs....and you don't always see it in APPWIZ.CPL (depends on the quality/thoroughness of said 3rd party softwares installer). And it may or may not create the usual directories for Office....
This the database engine not full on office. Some app that isn’t Microsoft Office loaded that .

Ok in my case looks like it's from the Brother P-Touch Editor. P-Touch can utilize Access databases. The 32bit office16 folder was created at the same time I installed the P-Touch Editor.
@mikeroq,

Thanks for the detective work. I did install the Brother P-Touch Editor and Updater software on both machines during early setup, and never in a million years would have thought anything related to MS-Access would have been downloaded as part of that. There's no hint during the installer for either one that anything related to Access is "coming along for the ride."
Ding!

Back