Outlook and IMAP

Not really... it's more like a defacto standard. Because other vendors can use auto-configuration details to configure their mail clients too.

Indeed I'm pretty sure emCLient does this currently. Thunderbird certainly does: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird:Autoconfiguration:ConfigFileFormat

But... just to make things murky... XML files can define data structures used to populate databases, and are often functionally indistinguishable as a result. So... you're still not wrong to think of it all as a database!

I've several former VZ customers that were moved to Yahoo/AOL. All use Outlook, had no problem setting up the accounts with OAUTH. And they're using Windows Defender. So maybe give what @Sky-Knight said a try. If they have third part AV completely remove it then see what happens.

Last edited:
Not really... it's more like a defacto standard. Because other vendors can use auto-configuration details to configure their mail clients too.

Indeed I'm pretty sure emCLient does this currently. Thunderbird certainly does: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird:Autoconfiguration:ConfigFileFormat

But... just to make things murky... XML files can define data structures used to populate databases, and are often functionally indistinguishable as a result. So... you're still not wrong to think of it all as a database!
Actually, it is a standard for non-exchange servers. It is defined in RFC 6186. https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc6186

Now of course Exchange is a proprietary Microsoft email system so an exchange autodiscover DNS record uses a CNAME instead of the
SRV record used by standard email MX servers. Both do much the same thing but one is for old-style email and the other for Exchange. Outlook is able to configure itself via both.

Actually, it is a standard for non-exchange servers. It is defined in RFC 6186. https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc6186

Now of course Exchange is a proprietary Microsoft email system so an exchange autodiscover DNS record uses a CNAME instead of the
SRV record used by standard email MX servers. Both do much the same thing but one is for old-style email and the other for Exchange. Outlook is able to configure itself via both.
Sweet, I didn't know that. So it is simply a standard, nice!

I've several former VZ customers that were moved to Yahoo/AOL. All use Outlook, had no problem setting up the accounts with OAUTH. And they're using Windows Defender. So maybe give what @Sky-Knight said a try. If they have third part AV completely remove it then see what happens.
Sorry, Mark, OAUTH setup just plain doesn't work with AOL and Verizon - you must use an App password. It works fine with Mac Mail and most other mail clients. It might work with native Yahoo accounts (I don't see that many of those any more) but definitely not with Verizon Yahoo accounts.

As far as third party AV is concerned, I just use Windows Defender, and that's what I recommend for most of my client base. I routinely uninstall the trial antivirus software on all new installs, and tell people to cancel subscriptions to Norton and McAfee. It's certainly not what's messing up my Outlook settings, as there has never been a third party A/V on this particular system.

Update, after taking the accounts out and putting them back in again, email came in as normal for about 6 hours. Just checked email, disconnected again. Very frustrating.

error back.PNG

Sorry, Mark, OAUTH setup just plain doesn't work with AOL and Verizon - you must use an App password. It works fine with Mac Mail and most other mail clients. It might work with native Yahoo accounts (I don't see that many of those any more) but definitely not with Verizon Yahoo accounts.

As far as third party AV is concerned, I just use Windows Defender, and that's what I recommend for most of my client base. I routinely uninstall the trial antivirus software on all new installs, and tell people to cancel subscriptions to Norton and McAfee. It's certainly not what's messing up my Outlook settings, as there has never been a third party A/V on this particular system.

Update, after taking the accounts out and putting them back in again, email came in as normal for about 6 hours. Just checked email, disconnected again. Very frustrating.

View attachment 13660
I was under the impression that OAUTH was using an app password since you are not providing the actual password. But after looking things over they are in fact different. Kind of similar but the BoH stuff is very different. As I said app passwords have never been an issue. Have you tried app passwords? I've just basically jump to that for Yahoo and AOL.

I was under the impression that OAUTH was using an app password since you are not providing the actual password. But after looking things over they are in fact different. Kind of similar but the BoH stuff is very different. As I said app passwords have never been an issue. Have you tried app passwords? I've just basically jump to that for Yahoo and AOL.
App passwords work fine for the AOL stuff, as far as connecting Outlook is concerned. The problem I have (and so many of my clients) is that Outlook seems to reject perfectly good IMAP settings at totally random times, and refuses to connect to the server, until either Outlook, or the entire computer, is restarted. It has no rhyme or reason that I can see, and I have about as clean a set up (no add ins, no third party AV, a 6 month old high end computer set up with a clean install, run by a tech support professional for crying out loud) and can't seem to find the root of the issue. From what I have seen, these problems don't happen, or at least not as frequently, with either Exchange or POP.

The whole damned situation is 2007ish, lol. They should have this stuff working consistently by now, don't you think?

You've got that right!! I can't help but be convinced by the testimony here, but it points out that Outlook is absolutely inconsistent in how it works (or doesn't) with IMAP. I've never had a single issue with Outlook and IMAP, but many here (including yourself) consistently have just the opposite experience.

Email isn't rocket science and you'd think IMAP would be nailed by Outlook by now - always.

You've got that right!! I can't help but be convinced by the testimony here, but it points out that Outlook is absolutely inconsistent in how it works (or doesn't) with IMAP. I've never had a single issue with Outlook and IMAP, but many here (including yourself) consistently have just the opposite experience.

Email isn't rocket science and you'd think IMAP would be nailed by Outlook by now - always.
I think is the client itself and scheduling process as was in outlook of that era. Why don't the clients update outlook to current. As if it is, you have not actually defined the configuration. Though and seems to me 2007 is a serious security issue.

Have asked this and screenshot relates to Office 2007, please be forward on the ACTUAL OFFICE specs from clients.

Last edited:
Post #29 clearly states that the screenshots are from M365, and I have no reason to doubt that.

Many of the send/receive status dialogs have been the same "since dirt" and have not been updated.

Though ss look like non 365 panel as why am confused? From that wanted validation - not received just comments.

Oh ok the screenshot you posted looks 2007ish
The whole damned situation is 2007ish, lol. They should have this stuff working consistently by now, don't you think?

error-back-png.13660

Microsoft hasn't updated that part of the program. I can assure you, that's an error message from O365.

As I noted earlier, these particular dialogs have remained unchanged for many, many, many versions of Outlook, up to the present day.

I actually see them far too often to believe otherwise.

Out of curiosity if you go to outlook connection status are the servers in a disconnected state? Does clicking reconnect force them to connect successfully?

Out of curiosity if you go to outlook connection status are the servers in a disconnected state? Does clicking reconnect force them to connect successfully?
Interesting - that's not a place I have looked before. Checked it, and screen shot below is what I got. Mail seems to be working correctly right now. When I clicked on reconnect, it refreshed to show two IMAP accounts in a disconnected state and yet a new message arrived. What does that tell you, if anything?

outlook connection status.PNG

I've said it for years.....Outlook is first and foremost designed to be an email client to Exchange. The email, contacts, calendar, signatures...all the data is stored in the users Exchange mailbox. The computer is disposable, nothing needs to be backed up. Setup another computer and it's all there, calendar, contacts, email, signature, etc. Everything is fully equal on all devices..as designed...works great.

residential grade email POP/IMAP support was partially added to Outlook later, as an afterthought, but...it stinks. Outlook with IMAP stinks...avoid it at all costs.

residential grade email..stick to web browser access.
Outlook...use it for Microsoft 365.

...or...deal with constant headaches.

Back