Please assist with Stop error 0x0000008E

Mr.Mike

Reaction score
Subject is a client's Dell Inspiron 1100 Laptop. Phoenix A06 BIOS (2002), 512 RAM (DIMM). OS: XP Pro. Very slow boot time, 100% CPU usage in Task Manager on original startup, now slowed to normal.

I have loaded Recovery Console and ran chkdsk and fixboot commands. Nothing changes.

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0xFF8638EC,0xF96FD968, 0x00000000)

*** 000012D1 - Address FF8638EC base at FF863000, DateStamp 4a365a8c

Google search has produced some discussion of bad RAM, a Trojan, corrupted BIOS, or a bad driver from something that has been plugged into the usb ports. My best guess was it was either the RAM or Trojan (or both!). The unit doesn't provide enough power through it's USB one ports to run the external HDD provided by the client.

The RAM tested out fine and after entering a password, I am able to boot in Safe Mode. However, Safe Mode does not show the desktop (blacked out) and it uses only a 6" x 6" center portion of the screen. I can get into Task Manager and view processes and run MSCONFIG as a new task. However, Access is denied when trying to change a service like do a diagnostic startup or selective startup, but I am logged on as the administrator.

The following processes are running:

svchost.exe 10,652K
svchost.exe 6,016K
svchost.exe 12,452K
lsass.exe 568K
services.exe 6,104K
winlogon.exe 5,372K
csrss.exe 2,852K
System 488K
System Idle Process 16K

My client wants to retrieve files and back them up to an external drive or thumb drive. I thank you ahead of time for any suggestions you might be able to provide.

Mike

run bluescreen and whocrashed that will provide you more information as to the cause of the problem. Which version of memtest did you run to check the ram?

Thanks for responding PC fixed right.

Not sure what you mean by run "whocrashed. Is it software? I couldn't run memtest. I just pulled the two DIMM sticks then repositioned them, one and then the other.

I've tried to get the laptop to boot from CD but my research shows that option is not available in this version of the BIOS. Any other ideas?

Although this sounds too simple, I would try pressing f8 on bootup, and then clicking last known good configuration. I've actually got a gateway laptop on the bench that came in with that stop code. Its more than likely a corrupt driver, or startup software causing the issue. If the last known helps, then reinstall drivers, or run windows update etc.

Hi Silvano:

Thank you.

Yes, I tried that. The BIOS Screen does not allow you to go in and change anything. It just lists the components the laptop has, BIOS version, and things like System BIOS shadowed and Video BIOS shadowed. At the end of this list however, it says

Fatal Error:
The power adapter attached to your system is not supported. The System will run on battery power only and the battery will not be charged.

This is actually not true as I see the battery is charging up although there is a crack in the connector from the charger to the laptop.

pull the drive...

My client wants to retrieve files and back them up to an external drive or thumb drive. I thank you ahead of time for any suggestions you might be able to provide.

If you've checked the RAM, then my guess is a virus. Although, if I suspect RAM, I'll try and rule it out completely by putting in a KNOWN GOOD stick of test RAM. In my experience, if MEMTEST finds a fault in RAM, then it's BAD, but just because it didn't find a fault, doesn't mean it's GOOD. The only way to be sure is to test with RAM that you know works in another machine.

If the customer wants to retrieve files, get a USB drive connector (see article here) that works with IDE/LAPTOP/SATA drives. Connect it to another computer (I'm sure you have one laying around, somewhere :rolleyes:), then 1) backup the data the customer wants and burn to flash drive or CD, and 2) scan the drive remotely for viruses and check the registry remotely for viruses / rogue processes loading at startup.

My client wants to retrieve files and back them up to an external drive or thumb drive

Look at this review and the dates

http://compreviews.about.com/cs/laptops/gr/aaprDellIn1100.htm

Dell's Inspiron 1100 budget system

I would think you have already spent more time than the this laptop is worth.

This is the situation where I would recommend copying the client's data somewhere else, either in safe mode if the laptop is too slow in normal mode, or simply by removing the drive and slaving it to another system.

Then reinstall Windows. (I bet the client can find the Dell disks if pushed), if the client wants to continue with the machine.

It is possible the power supply/battery is on its way out, the memory seems to have been expanded at some time.

Despite what some may say about getting MV and MC qualifications, (these are really only good for those who will be of use to large corporations) there is no substitute for lot's of experience so don't be afraid to ask here.

In your business area you need to know more about how how to access Dell, HP etc BIOS, what tools to have or to carry with you (eg laptop hard drive adapters), how to assess the situation etc.

You will gain this knowledge from experience and at Technibble, not from MC courses.

I think we all missed the most important part about the OPs post. The OP has stated in the opening post they "tested" the ram. Then, in the next post, they say they couldn't run memtest, but instead, their best idea of a memory diagnostic was to "reposition" the sticks.

I was going to say the exact same thing... This thread shouldn't even continue until the ram is actually tested.

From the Windows Bug Check Reference:
The KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED bug check has a value of 0x0000008E. This bug check indicates that a kernel-mode application generated an exception that the error handler did not catch.

It could be a driver issue (70% of blue screens are). I don't have alot of experience with BSOD's, but I'm always trying to improve the accuracy of my analysis. If you upload the most recent minidump files (located in C:\Windows\Minidump) I can take a look and tell you maybe why the PC crashes. If the crashes are random - then most likely it is a hardware fault.

Alternatively you can run this program, which is a small program that automatically sends me the five most recent minidumps. (You need to run it on the computer that crashed)

Last edited:
I was going to say the exact same thing... This thread shouldn't even continue until the ram is actually tested.

Isn't it funny how the same group of people can spot a really bad thread right away. :D

I mean come on, what kind of diagnostics are these?. Are we going to hear another "Hey, not all of us are geniuses, ya know!" type of excuses?.

I also find it very odd that the OP is able to access the BIOS, but unable to change anything or access a boot menu. Even budget Dells have at least some basic user-configurable BIOS settings, not to mention the ability to boot to the diagnostics partition.

As for the adapter error message, I've seen this before with replacement A/C adapters or original adapters that were on their way out. Most Dell laptops I've seen have a sensor to detect the adapter, and will warn you if it's not up to par, even though you may see charging indication and the laptop seems to work okay on A/C power.

I had a similar situation with the faulty power adapter. One of the side effects of the system not getting enough power is that the IDE controller will eventually change from DMA to PIO and slow the system down considerably. Try uninstalling the IDE controller, reboot and let Windows reload the driver.

Scarlet, if you are still listening after all this squabbling you need to know that 'Dells are different' - in many ways.

As I said earlier, no formal course will teach you this and the situation changes all the time.

This is what you learn from experience (or someone at Technibble tells you)

The inspiron1100 can be booted from CD - how else would you use the windows install disk? But the way you access BIOS settings is non standard in a Dell.

And yes available Dell settings are more sparse than others.

Look here

http://www.hiren.info/pages/bios-boot-cdrom

I still maintain that, whilst it may be interesting and even educational for us here at Technibble to discuss possible causes etc, the only economic solution for your customer is called nuke&pave.

'Dells are different' and in this case it is particularly easy with a Dell.

Why has a real memory test not been done yet?. I have seen many computers show "hard drive" errors like this that turn out to be memory problems.

Until the OP does a memtest86+ with v4.00 and it comes back clean I think we should just stop trying.

Alright..... now that that's out of the way....

Did you run memtest on the system, or have you figured it out to be something else?

Actually just removed them and then replaced them. I know this is not a memtest. But I don't have that option since the unit cannot run the program in its present state.

So, if it can't boot to a CD, how are you going to repair anything? I'm certain that it has an option to boot to a disc, somewhere. Probably F12, if it's a laptop. That "dell is different" nonsense earlier on is just that...nonsense. It can boot to cd one way or another.

Even so, swapping the memory with known good works, too...but it doesn't give you answers about the customer's part, unless you want to trade.

After a hardware diag, you should try booting to a BartBE disc or something of that nature, or slaving the hard drive to another machine, and doing a virus scan.

I don't want to say that others' advice is wrong, exactly....but....why the hell would you reinstall the IDE controller drivers before doing hardware diag and virus scans first?

Hi 14049752. Yeah, a bit childish that discussion. Thanks for sticking in there.

Seriously, how do I run a memtest on a system that can't boot from cd because pressing the F2 key (or any other key) doesn't get you to a UI that allows you to change the BIOS settings? Am I missing something here?

As for the memory, maybe I should have said that I pulled and re-inserted the memory and replaced them with a known good memory stick that works.

I hope I've at least entertained you and not wasted your time. Thanks.

Back