[REQUEST] Please Critique My Facebook Business

TotalRecall

Reaction score
Hey all!
Hope you're all doing well. I've recently launched my own Facebook business page called "The Windows Whisperer"! 🎉
🌽 corny I know; couldn't think of a better name.

I'm super proud of how it's coming along, but I'd love to get some feedback from all you tech industry veterans out there. If you have a spare moment, could you take a peek and let me know what you think? Specifically, I'm looking for feedback on the logo and graphics.

Here's the link

Perhaps spare a like to help a guy out if you don't have any feedback? 🙂

Thanks a bunch in advance for your help! Really appreciate it. 😊

I'd suggest:
First get a website and matching email address.
FB page is fine as a lead generator linking to your website but spellcheck your ad and use a professional font.
Hope it goes well for you.

The page is setup as it should be. The graphics fonts you're using a bit confusing to the eye. I would change them to be lighter and select a font that reads left to right without the wonky letter arrangement.

Colors are ok for the banber but again, the graphics in the posts, challenging to read.

Hope that helps a bit,
Lisa

I'd suggest:
FB page is fine as a lead generator linking to your website but spellcheck your ad and use a professional font.
Hope it goes well for you.
Thank you for the proof read I never noticed the spelling errors. I wanted to go more informal with the presentation as the idea is to stick local.
Much appreciated

The page is setup as it should be. The graphics fonts you're using a bit confusing to the eye. I would change them to be lighter and select a font that reads left to right without the wonky letter arrangement.

Colors are ok for the banber but again, the graphics in the posts, challenging to read.

Hope that helps a bit,
Lisa
Thank you for your time and criticism, this will really help. Wondering if you or anyone has any font recommendations to better suit? Again mu approach was to look less professional more informal. Local tech support.

Arial
Thank you for your time and criticism, this will really help. Wondering if you or anyone has any font recommendations to better suit? Again mu approach was to look less professional more informal. Local tech support.
Arial, Calibri, Verdana give a better impression.
Wonky fonts give off a slapdash image - first impressions count.

I'd suggest:
Just a couple questions with regard to this. Do you have any reccomendations for web hosts? And why are websites better as the final destination for clients? Is it just preference or is there some science behind it as I've been reccomended this before too.

A website goes a long way to show that you mean business. They're pretty much mandatory for any service to be taken seriously nowadays. I personally use both tsoHost and Wix for various sites and uptime has been good.
A Facebook page can be spun up in a few minutes and disappear again just as quickly, and potential customers know that.

1. I agree about cleaning up the fonts, particularly the one used in the FAQ, which goes beyond "informal" and into wonky and hard to read. Either of the two below would look better if an informal look is what you're going for:
1715622963730.png
I prefer Cavolini simply because there is a prejudice out in the world against Comic Sans MS (that I've never really understood).

2. I'm the contrarian when it comes to email addresses, and not only because I use a gmail address, but because I cannot count the number of small businesses I know who do. If you want an @somethingelse.com address then, by all means get it, but Gmail in particular is just insanely common in small (read: micro-small) businesses these days.

3. Given that Microsoft has already replaced Ariel with Aptos as the default font, I'd be far more inclined to use Aptos than Ariel where you might have wanted to use Ariel. There are multiple variants on Aptos for differing use purposes. If you're going for all the same font, it gives you a good selection of weights much like Ariel did.

4. My website has been hosted on Amazon's S3 Free Tier for as long as I've had it.

IS THAT COMIC SANS!

Unless you only are specific to windows issues, I would suggest another business name.
I would purchase a domain rather than using a gmail as looks unprofessional.
I would not use social media as a platform to attract customers, you need a website.
It is in my experience that social media attracts customers who want everything done at the price that someone who knows about computers can do. Also if your FB account get's breached you will never ever get it back even if one supplies a DNA sample.

IS THAT COMIC SANS!

That's what it appears to be. And that's why I suggested Cavolini instead. (And, believe me, Comic Sans is a major improvement over its predecessor for the material now in Comic Sans).

There seems to be an irrational hatred of Comic Sans MS as well as Papyrus out there in the world at large. I love Papyrus, but not for this application.

The nom de plume - Windows Whisperer - is interesting but Whisperer is abused so much since the dog guy started broadcasting.

Just being honest on the graphics. It has such a 1990's look and feel to it. The font makes it look even more dated. Money doesn't grow on trees but sometime it pays to just farm it out. fiverr.com is popular. There may be some others.

Get rid of the geeky symbol/logo stuff. Like >/=. The average Jane or John have no idea what that means. Instead use something like <service> starts at xx.xx. Make sure you are clear on the "no fix no pay".

Have you made a business plan? People don't plan to fail they fail to plan. @Your PCMD has put together a template to follow. Don't need to go nuts over it.

On this side of the pond we have an organization, [/url=https://score.org]SCORE[/url], supports new businesses. I'm sure there's the same on your side of the pond.

Your use of the symbols ">/=" confused me for a second, then I realised you must mean "greater than or equal to". That's an odd way of indicating pricing. Why not just use "from" instead?

Yes, it's Comic Sans and that's why I recommended Cavolini. There doesn't exist the hatred that is out there for Comic Sans MS.

I also hate that the main font used for the business name.

1715642386337.png

I have no idea why my screen shots become "so huge" when embedded here, that's why I'm including the point size.

Yes it does look like one is working from a Saloon in Deadwood, no offense to the OP.
As @Markverhyden stated I thought the same the Biz Name GFX does look dated.

I really think you need to come across as more professional than a local computer whiz! That is a term from the best of the 80's & 90's, tune in.
In your about us, you need to expand on not your personal terms, though more your professional knowledge & skillsets.
Apologies if I sound direct, that is just me. Good luck with your venture!

Last edited:
I really think you need to come across as more professional than a local computer whiz! That is a term from the best of the 80's & 90's, tune in.
In your about us, you need to expand on not your personal terms, though more your professional knowledge & skillsets.
Apologies if I sound direct, that is just me. Good luck with your venture!
Hi, I went with Comic Sans understanding the prejudice behind it because of it being an overused but readable font. (Negative exposure is still exposure)

Again please don't hold back, your criticism is welcome. I can assure you whilst I'm far from being an 80s/90s baby (try millennial), the retro look is something I actually love wether it be a niche or not. I completely understand everyone's logic with the need to over simplify aspects of the page - my main concern was to make it functional and readable.

The terminology and approach I use in the about me section and pretty much everywhere else on the page was to be informal. The plan is to be the local computer guy not hide behind professionalism. I can assure you I know my target audience and that's why I approached it the way I have.

Your use of the symbols ">/=" confused me for a second, then I realised you must mean "greater than or equal to". That's an odd way of indicating pricing. Why not just use "from" instead?
This has helped alot, I simply tried to take a shortcut by using symbols. As you can imagine with the font/font size I was using; having 'starting from' takes up a lot of space.
I will try to format it better to avoid using the symbols, but I'm also on the standpoint of will it intrigue more people? Or just straight up confuse them 😂

Nevertheless, duly noted!

The nom de plume - Windows Whisperer - is interesting but Whisperer is abused so much since the dog guy started broadcasting.

Just being honest on the graphics. It has such a 1990's look and feel to it. The font makes it look even more dated. Money doesn't grow on trees but sometime it pays to just farm it out. fiverr.com is popular. There may be some others.

Get rid of the geeky symbol/logo stuff. Like >/=. The average Jane or John have no idea what that means. Instead use something like <service> starts at xx.xx. Make sure you are clear on the "no fix no pay".

Have you made a business plan? People don't plan to fail they fail to plan. @Your PCMD has put together a template to follow. Don't need to go nuts over it.

On this side of the pond we have an organization, [/url=https://score.org]SCORE[/url], supports new businesses. I'm sure there's the same on your side of the pond.
Thank you for the resources I will definitely be diving into these when I get spare time. As no, I do not have a business plan. I was shooting shots in the dark I never expected to become an actual business owner if I'm honest. But that was mostly due to lack of resources and understanding, with what you've linked I'm sure I'll feel a hell of a lot more confident about going into it.

Again I will revise the symbols as they were just a shortcut from me properly formatting to include 'starting from'

As for fiverr, If all of this amounts to nothing. Atleast I can say I did most of it myself. If there's anything I want to take away from all of this, it's the learning opportunities; brushing up in photoshop is one of those!
The logo font by the way if anyone's curious - is my own take on the INVINCIBLE title of the comic series.

Side note: I'm aware of how corny 'Whisperer' is! Funnily enough my partner also wants to expand into starting her own dog business too but The Dog Whisperer was taken 🤣

That's what it appears to be. And that's why I suggested Cavolini instead. (And, believe me, Comic Sans is a major improvement over its predecessor for the material now in Comic Sans).

There seems to be an irrational hatred of Comic Sans MS as well as Papyrus out there in the world at large. I love Papyrus, but not for this application.
Hi, just wanted to thank you for your reccomendation on changing it to something 'like' comic Sans, I did take your warning into consideration with everyone hating it (especially my generation) but thought perhaps negative exposure is still exposure. I did attempt to try Cavolini but it was not pre-installed so I pushed comic Sans for the time being to atleast make it more readable.

Thanks again for your time!

Back