[REQUEST] Please Critique My Facebook Business

I'm the contrarian when it comes to email addresses, and not only because I use a gmail address, but because I cannot count the number of small businesses I know who do.
Thanks for the reccomendation, I actually did change to a Gmail to get the full handle as on outlook I could not claim it. Although, since changing it someone in the thread has already heckled me 🤣
My website has been hosted on Amazon's S3 Free Tier for as long as I've had it.
I have claimed my domain name through AWS and put up a test index page, I'm wondering if you have any resources towards inspiration for a website or general files I could use as I briefly did Web development in college and ChatGPT is my friend at the moment, it's just knowing what to ask for.

Thanks

Hi, I went with Comic Sans understanding the prejudice behind it because of it being an overused but readable font. (Negative exposure is still exposure)

Again please don't hold back, your criticism is welcome. I can assure you whilst I'm far from being an 80s/90s baby (try millennial), the retro look is something I actually love wether it be a niche or not. I completely understand everyone's logic with the need to over simplify aspects of the page - my main concern was to make it functional and readable.

The terminology and approach I use in the about me section and pretty much everywhere else on the page was to be informal. The plan is to be the local computer guy not hide behind professionalism. I can assure you I know my target audience and that's why I approached it the way I have.
Well we are all professionals here, so you need to act like one with selling your business and yourself.

I'm wondering if you have any resources towards inspiration for a website or general files I could use

The nice part of a free web site is that it is free and that works if you are the master of HTML. Pay sites like GoDaddy (no groans please, just using as an example) really don't cost much and have a huge library of tools (Wordpress), templates and help.

You may want to mention computer migration in your services list. With Win10 ending next year many people are going to be buying new computers and almost all will need help moving their stuff from old to new.

Last edited:
Well we are all professionals here, so you need to act like one with selling your business and yourself.

And I think he has been. "Professional" and "stuffy" are not the same thing.

I'm perfectly happy with a breezier approach to computer tech than many techs take. The marketplace one intends to serve is important to consider, and residental users are far more likely to respond well to "the tech guy next door" approach than high tech formalism.

Nothing like a trademark infringement

Specifically? I can't count the number of instances of use of the various Windows logos as an indication someone works with Windows. Same with Apple.

I've also never heard of either of those companies "going after" someone using them in that way, and not representing themselves as officially connected to either company.

Much like discussing trademarked software, where the fine-print disclaimer is present regarding who owns the trademarks.

The vector graphics I used were either free use or I have modified them enough that surely it constitutes as fair use, even still; just as britechguy said
Specifically? I can't count the number of instances of use of the various Windows logos as an indication someone works with Windows. Same with Apple.
I'm only planning to work locally as 'the tech guy' if microsoft is bothered enough to shut me down; so be it.

Appreciate the heads up though!

No practical trademark infringement in @britechguy's case. He's using a part of a painting. A part that's been replicated for years, many times without attribution. It's use falls under copyright commons. While he's using it to run a business, as in make a profit it is not part of the product or service received by the customer. But, for example, if he used that as the desktop icon, for his pay per view/use service that might be a violation if he did not provide proper attribution.

I can remember another tech, years ago, who was getting his IT support business kicked off. He used the common, even back then, graphic of the on/off button, vertical line going through an almost complete circle. He kept getting harassed by some other tech also starting a website who claimed they had it copyrighted, whatever. We all told him to ignore him, that person couldn't have the copyright. Eventually it went away as I remember.

Simpleicons_Interface_power-button-symbol.svg (1).png

No practical trademark infringement in @britechguy's case.

I never took that comment as applying to me. Munch's The Scream has been public domain for much longer than I've been alive. I also built the "scream face with 'no' strike through" myself.

Copyright is not perpetual, most of the great works of art from the early 20th century and earlier are all "up for grabs" as far as fair use to create derivative material.

It has always reminded me of a bloodhound.

What has? There is absolutely no way to know who, or what, you're referring to in a topic this long and involved without either a quotation to direct attention back to the message you're replying to or mentioning something from it that does the same.

Clear antecedents are necessary.

The painting from Munch's The Scream reminds me of a bloodhound dog. I directly posted it under your post, simple logic defines that. Do you wish me to use a Harvard Referencing in future for you.

The painting from Munch's The Scream reminds me of a bloodhound dog. I directly posted it under your post, simple logic defines that. Do you wish me to use a Harvard Referencing in future for you.
If you'd like some technical support, there's a button on the bottom right hand side of the post you plan to comment below. It says 'reply', of which when you click it; it happens to quote the post you're referring to.
Free of charge my friend.
Thanks

Back