What's in a Name?

The PCologist

Reaction score
One of the first things I began thinking about when I decided to start a repair business was what to name my company. In my mind I had three options for the type of name I could choose.

1. Personal brand - Using my own name in the business name. "Stokes Computer Services" (just an example). I like the idea of building my personal brand but I feel that this type of business name is, well, kind of boring and lacks creativity. I wonder if it would make my business appear "small" or too much like a one man operation (which it is) and limit my ability to grow in the future.

2. Location specific - Using a name that identifies my business with the local area. "Mobile Bay Computer Services" for example. I think it might be a plus in that potential clients will identify my company as being local instead of some far off operation that outsources work. But, what happens if at some point I want to provide services outside of my local area? Maybe I decide to provide nationwide remote support or website design (just examples). That local name starts to look a little restrictive when thinking "big".

3. Unique, industry descriptive brand (for lack of a better term) - "Geek Squad" is a prime example. I think that brand name is fun, creative, memorable, and easily identifiable as a technology company.

I did come up with a name for my company but I'm just starting out and haven't marketed it so I'm not married to it yet. While I have registered the domain that's the only investment I have in it.

The PCologist
- "specializing in the diagnosis and treatment of your personal computer"

Obviously, I chose #3 in creating this name. Playing off of the medical field (Cardiologist, Dermatologist, etc) I thought it was catchy and unique. My primary focus is residential but as I fine tune my business I hope to market to small biz as well down the line. But, second guessing myself as I always do I wonder how it would be received by prospective clients. Will people "get it"? Does it just plain sound dumb? Will I spend a lot of time just trying to explain its meaning to folks? I like the name because there are so many different things I can do with it from a marketing standpoint if I play off the medical field. Think Geek Squad and Spies. Robert Stephens (founder of Geek Squad) came up with a most brilliant idea!

What are your thoughts on effective naming/branding for a computer repair business? Why did you choose the name you did? Is it working? I would be interested on any thoughts, ideas, or observations you all might have on the topic.

Also, if you are so inclined, feel free to critique my chosen name and slogan...good, or bad. You will NOT hurt my feelings. :) I'm serious about this new business venture and would rather get this worked out to my satisfaction now rather than later when it might be too late.

Thanks for reading!
-Craig

A major factor in the Geek Squad's success is linked to the fact that they are in Best Buy stores. That sort of branding works when you have national exposure and deep pockets. It's not so relevant to the neighbourhood firm I think.

A major factor in the Geek Squad's success is linked to the fact that they are in Best Buy stores. That sort of branding works when you have national exposure and deep pockets. It's not so relevant to the neighbourhood firm I think.

I heard Robert Stephens speak at a customer service convention a few years ago. He started out as a local, one man shop just like most of the folks here. Looking to differentiate himself from the competition, he created the Geek Squad brand. IIRC, he started out with an old 1950's car and painted it with the now familiar black & white color scheme with the shield. This, along with the attire (white shirt, tie, black pants) and the police badge created a buzz about his company and contributed to its growth. He grew Geek Squad into a sizable company before Best Buy took notice and offered to purchase it.

The PCologist

No offense intended (you did ask) but the name puts me in mind of a colon doctor. You have many good ideas. I am sure you will come up with one you like.

Last edited:
I was thinking of asking the same kind of question.

I have gone under the name of PCSolve previously but I'm now thinking of relaunching and rebranding. Picking a name these days and getting an available .com is growing more and more difficult.

I've come up with a new name but I'm not sure if I'll use it now. I've been asking around to see what peoples thoughts are, some like it and others arn't sure.

So here goes. I've been thinking of using FOOKINPC. When it's going wrong, what do you shout? "why won't you work you f@@king PC"

FOOKINPC is more likely to stick in your mind than PCSolve don't you think?

feel free to critique my chosen name and slogan...good, or bad.
Okay, but I see that OhioTech gets the same impression I do, that PCologist is too close to Proctologist. Maybe if you add a hyphen, like PC-ologist, that association can be avoided. In either version, I'm afraid it does nothing for me. Sorry I don't have anything to suggest as an alternative. PC-Medic and PC-Doctor have been overdone, IMO.

The PCologist

No offense intended (you did ask) but the name puts me in mind of a colon doctor. You have many good ideas. I am sure you will come up with one you like.

No offence taken. I appreciate this sort of honest feedback. If prospective clients feel the same as you then obviously "The PCologist" would be a poor choice. Personally, I like it for reasons I stated in my original post but I'm determined to explore all possibilities before making a final decision.

Thanks!

@Larry Sabo Thank you for your input. You guys are giving me something to think about. I see that you are using your last name in your business. Are you happy with your choice? Does it seem to affect your marketing effectiveness for good or bad?

I actually love the name and think you will get noticed and reconized favorably especially locally. Market yourself locally make sure many local businesses know who you are personally. I get a lot of negative press from other techs for my name but I am doing well. I have not picked a slogan though but thinking about something like, Dont let your computer drive you Nutz. Good luck
Eric

Thanks numnutz!

You know....I just had a thought. Some of you guys feel that "The PCologist" reminds you of a colon Dr. (Gastroenterologist, btw) and imply that this might be a negative for my biz. Ok, I get that...BUT, let's look at it a different way...

When your colon is messed up who do you call? A Gastroenterologist of course! It doesn't matter what the word "Gastroenterologist" brings to mind, he's the guy that can best help you so that's who you are going to call, right?

So maybe PCologist isn't the sexiest name out there (we just passed 192 million registered top level domains. Are there ANY cool names left? :)) but if it sticks in people's minds that you call a PCologist when your PC craps out, then there IS value in the name. Of course, It would by MY job to make sure Joe and Jane Public make this connection prior to needing my services.

Hmmm...lots to think about.

-Craig

Sometimes, I think I limit my self slightly by my business name. Being a female my last name could change. LOL! Seriously, I am in a small town and have lived here for 35 years so everyone knows everyone- so for me it works. PC Doctor and Custom PC have been so done here. I decided to go with a rocking color scheme and professional tech image. People comment "OMG, the National Guard is here to fix my computer!" RE: Hummer. I am very busy - 5 computers dropped off on Friday. And fully booked on Saturday. Plus I have 6 4x8 signs strategically located in the surrounding areas. Ad 5 days a week in the newspaper..ect..

Honestly any name can work if you keep it consistent. I just don't think many people would want you touching their keyboard with that doctor image in mind.

@Larry Sabo .... I see that you are using your last name in your business. Are you happy with your choice? Does it seem to affect your marketing effectiveness for good or bad?
I'm not sure if it's better than a non-personal name, but it sets me apart from the cute/catchy/generic names, and is more personable, which suits my personality and business style. I've been using it for 13 years in business, first as Sabo Monitor Repairs, and now as Sabo Computer Repairs. Good luck in your search for a winning business name.

The PCologist

It may be a great name. I am not sure but that is how I read it too ie PC Oncologist.

P.S. Oops my post would have made more sense if I had read more of the thread. Good of you to take the typical reaction in a positive way. Cheers!

Last edited:
Its a great name and people will remember it, its catchy and it will get ppl talking. will you get many mulitmillion dollar white collar, dress code, stuffy atmosphere corp accounts with that name? hmmmm probably not but if your not after that it doesnt matter. Like I said get involved in your local area if you live near your businness or work out of your home join orginizations, Elks club, join a gym, if you have kids in school get involved there. volunteer, donate get your name out. People will try you and IF your good it will just grow...good luck

@OhioTech @Larry Sabo - I certainly recognize the value in leveraging your personal brand in a business name. Both of you have an impressive resume of experience listed on your site. I would imagine that your credentials play an important role in building confidence in the minds of prospective clients. Well done!

@Larry, I like that you mentioned how your biz name "suits my personality and business style". I think that is key.

2 points...

1. In my professional career I have been successful (and feel most comfortable) injecting a little humor into my interactions with customers. I don't mean over-the-top "Night at the Apollo" stand up comedy, but I've found that sprinkling in a bit of humor at appropriate moments can disarm a "hot" situation, form a more personable connection with the client, and take the edge off of a customer's stressful situation. It's not suitable for every situation but through years of working in tech support I learned when to employ this technique and it seems to work well for me.

2. I am currently focusing on residential customers but after I work out the kinks of starting a new business I will market to small business. I have experience providing service and support to the healthcare industry. Specifically, dentists, orthodontists, various small to medium sized medical practices...so I have to wonder how "The PCologist" would resonate with this crowd. Maybe it would be a plus in my marketing efforts?

Like I said get involved in your local area if you live near your businness or work out of your home join orginizations, Elks club, join a gym, if you have kids in school get involved there. volunteer, donate get your name out.

That is GREAT advice! I have looked into joining my local Chamber of Commerce. Great networking opportunities there. Hmm...my daughter is in a sorority at a local college. They do multiple fundraisers during the school year. With a little thought I bet I could come up with a way to help a great cause while building brand equity with the public. Thanks for getting my creative juices flowing!

Great way to look at it! I love different names so go with it!

Numnutz..I think your name is fantastic! I always get it when I see it!

@OhioTech @Larry Sabo - I certainly recognize the value in leveraging your personal brand in a business name. Both of you have an impressive resume of experience listed on your site. I would imagine that your credentials play an important role in building confidence in the minds of prospective clients. Well done!

Thank you for your kind words and I hope I haven't offended you in any way. ;-)

Back