Window 7 Black Screen W/White Cursor (help)

I've had quite a lot of these and only ever solved one. I've never noticed it being anything to do with the MBR/partition table. If it's booting that far then those things are usually fine. Also never seen RAM implicated either. This is the classic Black Screen Of Death and it mostly seems caused by permissions and/or registry issues.

The one time I did solve it was be resetting all file permissions.

Last one, which I posted about recently, turned out to have a corrupt registry amongst other things and this was not solvable as far as I know. I later copied the file system to an external disk and pointed various tools which work on offline Windows directories like AutoBackup4Tech, Produkey etc and most of them were not able to load the registry hives to do their job.

I do wonder if using WinPE would work to not only reset file permissions but registry ones too

Have had 2 of these in the last 2 days. Spent 4 hours on 1 yesterday...got it booting into Safe Mode and looked at the system restore. Customer told me the laptop starting hanging on the Black Screen last Sunday, when there was Microsoft Updates...trying restoring it back to before the updates..rebooted a few times and started hanging again...back-up & wiped in the end!!!

Back