[SOLVED] Winmail.dat files

ohio_grad_06

Reaction score
Ok, so a bit of a headscratcher here. At my day job we use Office 365 from Microsoft as a hosted exchange. I believe we are on the e3 plan at this time. Most of our users are using Office 2010 or Office 2013. Starting to get more converted to 2013 as we roll out new PC's.

Anyway here's the deal. We have some users reporting that they are sending out emails to folks using aol and gmail accounts. Ok, cool. Issue is many of them are getting Winmail.dat files when they receive the messages.

From my research, it appears that the cause of the winmail files is supposedly that you are sending from outlook and using RTF(rich text formatting). Proposed solutions are that you should send as html or plain text.

This is what I've sent to users in the past

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/278061

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958012

First link describes the issue, second has a Microsoft Fix it link.

In the past, running the fix it on the second link has helped. Now however, still getting more and more saying folks they send to are getting winmail.dat files. I talked to one executive in particular who is sending to folks with gmail and saying they get them as winmail.dat. I checked all his settings in outlook 2013, by default he's set to compose messages as html, and it's set to convert the messages to html when sending in Internet Format. But they still go through as winmail.dat.

I had him test with my gmail, he sent me exactly the same 3 files he sent someone else who had the issue, I logged into gmail and showed him I got everything in PDF format. Also on my android phone, it came through fine, no winmail.dat.

The common denominator seems to be that he said many of those people are using Macs. My thinking is that what is probably happening is maybe they are using Apple Mail and maybe that's the limitiing factor. But I've seen winmail occur on other clients/platforms. Like I have seen it happen in an aol inbox for example. I even tried downloading thunderbird but it even read things properly.

I know many of the people are using gmail as I said, it seems like at least to that level things work. I'm wondering if it's when Apple mail is downloading the messages if it does not understand them and spits out winmail.dat.

Just wondering because I seem to have covered the known things, but there has to be a solution.

I'm thinking about this.

http://blog.powerbiz.net.au/office-365/fixing-the-winmail-dat-attachment-problem-in-office365/

It's supposed to be a powershell command and you can apparently disable tnef formatted message sending to certain domains. Wondering if this is a better way to tackle this. What is aggravating is that you are supposed to be able to go into contacts and go to the outlook properties of a certain person, and set the formatting for just them. In 2013 I don't see these options, but there are guides of how to do it in 2003-2007 so apparently you could do it before but maybe the option is gone? I HATE WINMAIL!!! Lol

I think I just "solved" this a few months ago. The people geeting winmail attachments were using Mac mail. Once we figured that out, we stopped worrying about it.

People who regularly use Apple computers computers to conduct business with the outside world are used to this sort of thing.

I just fixed this for a client yesterday. Unfortunately I did have to disable TNEF to fix it.

The steps you linked though will disable it across the board though. See this page to read up on how to disable it for only certain domains.

http://help.outlook.com/140/gg263346.aspx

It also has directions to disabling it for certain addresses, but I have some reservations about that so I just went with the whole domain.

Thank you very much! I think I actually saw that, thanks for reminding me.

Let me ask this, what implications did doing this have for you or did you see any downsides?

Last edited:
TNEF is used by outlook specific features. Such as meeting requests, voting, and forms. For my client, they did not use those functions so it was not a major issue.

If your client DOES use those functions, then disabling it for specific E-mail accounts may be the best way to go. With that setup you need to make sure you setup a shared address book and add the receiving user to it. Also make sure that the display name matches the rule you create exactly, or it won't work.

My issue with this is that if they have the address in their personal address book already, it may pull from that instead and then it won't work.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I will try looking into this today at some point. Sounds like just disabling by domain is the easiest solution.

Ok, so just looking more into this and wanting to make sure I have my commands right.

So if I wanted to block TNEF to gmail.com for example, I would do the following correct?
-------------------------------------
Run the following command to create a new remote domain for gmail.com:
Copy

New-RemoteDomain -Name Gmail -DomainName gmail.com

Modify the default settings of the remote domain to disable TNEF encoding for all messages to the gmail.com domain:
Copy

Set-RemoteDomain Gmail -TNEFEnabled $false

-------------------------------------

Now the question I have is if disabling this causes issues how do I turn it off? My thinking is that to turn it off I would just simply need to use the command in this case

Set-RemoteDomain Gmail -TNEFEnabled $null

That sound right? My thought is just to enable this for aol.com, yahoo.com and gmail.com which should cover most of our external users but hopefully have little impact internally.

Just saw the other post, sounds interesting. My day job we are a Church organization so there are a LOT of missionaries/executives in the field going in and out, just thinking that latter you posted might get tedious to manually enter all those in lol.

Back