[SOLVED] How's my CPU thermal paste application?

Just my .02$ - I was never a fan of spreading. Too easy to get small air bubbles captured. I usually just put one dab about the size of a grain of rice and clamp the heatsink. On most boards you can see that it flowed to the edge of the cpu die after the heatsink was clamped. I do remember using the "X" method on larger dies (AMD?). Still, no more than a couple grains of rice. Thermal compound flows pretty well especially after getting hot. The idea is less, not more (which is why I never liked the thermal pads). ...and in earlier days not all compounds were non-conductive like they are today so you had to be very vigilant about overflows....

Lol... pictures 1 & 2 show it's already overflowing...
Spreading the thermal paste as thin as you can over all the cpu * will * result in overflowing once the pressure is applied.

You didn't even look at the video you're referring to (hxxps://support.arctic.de/en/mx-4) :(
And you didn't scroll down. Note, I did watch the video. I just disagree with magic processes that cannot be observed. I don't have transparent tools to play with. And I've also never had a mess on a CPU after mounting.

Note, where I live it's going to be 112F outside today, that's 44.44C. Indoors it's uncommon to see air conditioned temperatures below 76F, 24.44C, and the office I'm typing this in is currently 82F, or 27.77C.

If I get my cooling wrong, crap DIES. I used to test network hardware appliance cooling systems in an oven, outside, during the Summer! My methods may be a bit messy, but they are well proven.

Last edited:
The OP pictures clearly show the paste layer is to thick. Personally I'll use the X method but only .5" long for each leg if I can extrude a small diameter amount. If not I'll do a small dollop in the middle. Then seat the sink, but not latch, and then take is off to make sure the coverage looks good. After that clamp it down.

Maybe it would be cool if there were a way for us to apply thermal grease as a bunch of little dots like on this AMD Wraith Prism cooler that I recently installed.

Thermal Grease Dots.jpg

Back