Snappy Driver Installer

Isn't there anything that can be done with the driver detection methods? There are some laptops in our organization that behave weird if we install all drivers from SDI. For instance, if we install MassStorage on those laptops, the HDD usage levels raise up to 100% all the time, even though there is no process using the HDD. I tripple checked this.

And some of them disables the standard keyboard driver if we install TouchPad drivers.
I'm not aware of these problems. I suggest trying to install alternative drivers from the dropdown menu till you find the best fit, put aside log files and submit a bug report.

Make sure that you're not passing the -checkupdates switch. Check the sdi.cfg file.

Bingo, thanks for that.
Is there a way in the sdi.cfg to use current directory for drp_dir:? I tried %~dp0 and * didn't work. This would help with running it with different driver folders. If not I'll just make sure to put them in a "drivers" folder.

Last edited:
Bingo, thanks for that.
Is there a way in the sdi.cfg to use current directory for drp_dir:? I tried %~dp0 and * didn't work. This would help with running it with different driver folders. If not I'll just make sure to put them in a "drivers" folder.
Currently only the -log_dir switch supports environment variables.
For example: -log_dir:%WINDIR%\Logs\SDILog

I'm running into an issue trying to run it silently. If I do nogui it doesn't work. If I do the gui, I get prompted right away by windows security to verify the publisher. Is there anyway to suppress this so I can run it silently?

I'm curious about all of this - why are you trying to run this silently?

I just plug in my USB stick with the current (or almost current) updates for SDI, make my selections and away it goes.

If need be I have another copy of SDI on another USB stick so I can do more than 1 at a time. I don't run it from a network share - not saying you can't but I don't. I don't have a huge amount of units that need to done w/ SDI. If it comes down to having a great deal of units I'll get one all updated (including O/S updates) then make an image of it then deploy it - all with Clonezilla for image manipulation.

I'm curious about all of this - why are you trying to run this silently?
I am trying to use SDI with setupcomplete.cmd, which runs after sysprepping a computer to install drivers. For the last few years I have been using DPINST, which has become less reliable for installing the correct drivers in Windows 10. I have been successful at using SDI in this context but not always 100%. It has to be silent because it is run in the background before the first login prompt. If I had to run SDI manually everytime I re-image 100+ machines at a time that would be a nightmare and I would just stick to the hit or miss DPINST.

Hmmm...... SDI failed for me yesterday for the first time. Did a Win10 N&P on a Dell laptop. After confirming activation I ran SDI and it replaced the mouse and touch pad drivers with something that didn't work. Can't do much of anything without a working mouse/touch pad. Did another N & P on that machine and unchecked the mouse drivers this time in SDI and all went well.

Hmmm...... SDI failed for me yesterday for the first time. Did a Win10 N&P on a Dell laptop. After confirming activation I ran SDI and it replaced the mouse and touch pad drivers with something that didn't work. Can't do much of anything without a working mouse/touch pad. Did another N & P on that machine and unchecked the mouse drivers this time in SDI and all went well.
Would an external USB mouse work?

Seems it does get it wrong sometimes. I've had SDI install the wrong drivers for the USB 3.0 host. Removed driver and Windows auto-installed an MS driver and all was good.

EDIT: This was observed on my personal desktop. I just tried SDI again and it seems this may have been fixed as it doesn't recommend this driver anymore. :) EDIT2: I was wrong, it is still there. Submitted a ticket.

Last edited:
The accuracy of picking the right drivers depends on users reporting problems and proposing solutions. This is why it's important to collect all relevant information about the problem(log files) and verify the proposed solution(which drivers should've been installed?) before returning the PC to the client.

New installs of Windows 10 have System Restore TURNED OFF! You have to actively turn it on. SDI does not do this nor does it report that it can't create a system restore point.

Ahhh - that explains it. Thanks @nlinecomputers . Actually SDI does report a problem in that the System Restore indicator bar in SDI does not turn green.

New installs of Windows 10 have System Restore TURNED OFF!

Do we know the rationale behind this? I hadn't connected it to Win10 yet as I had seen more than ever systems coming through with restore space set to zero. We check system restore settings and defrag settings on every computer that comes through. (Defrag every week? Really Microsoft? This is NTFS not FAT32. Old habits die hard. Even once a month - the minimal setting - is still a bit strong.)

A very good point. I don't want drivers installed until I have at least a restore point in place.

Yes but it reports it after the fact. There is no halt on system restore failure that I am aware of in SDI. (Will gladly eat crow if someone can point out one if I have missed it.)
SDI doesn't halt installation but you should have enough time to cancel installation by clicking on the main progressbar before SDI completed extracting drivers from the first driverpack.

Do we know the rationale behind this? I hadn't connected it to Win10 yet as I had seen more than ever systems coming through with restore space set to zero. We check system restore settings and defrag settings on every computer that comes through. (Defrag every week? Really Microsoft? This is NTFS not FAT32. Old habits die hard. Even once a month - the minimal setting - is still a bit strong.)
I would guess because of the prevalence of SSD drives. It is just one more thing writing to the drive. Also, such drives typically are small and SR takes up valuable real estate. And there is also tablets which can have even less space. It's defaulting to the lowest common denominator of settings.

Back