Snappy Driver Installer

Torrent updates not working in R307? I'm uploading but downloading speed is glacial/zero. Nobody seeding this invaluable tool?

Could I also suggest an "About" link in the program GUI, so we can check for program updates/forum help?

SDI Torrent speeds.jpg

Torrent updates not working in R307? I'm uploading but downloading speed is glacial/zero. Nobody seeding this invaluable tool?

Could I also suggest an "About" link in the program GUI, so we can check for program updates/forum help?

View attachment 4940

Updates are currently working OK for me - there are plenty of seeds and peers.
Version 307 is a bit old. I'm using the current version 320.

Are you behind NAT? Does your ISP or firewall blocks torrent traffic? Do log files have any clues as to what might be the issue?

BTW, you can click on the logo or the revision number to open the website and try downloading the torrent yourself from the Download page.

Thanks @Eagle21 and @BadPointer. I'll investigate and update the thread when I have more info.

Edit: Found the problem, and fixed it: uTorrent was blocked by group policies, for unknown reasons. Anyway, downloading latest version and packs. Thanks!

Last edited:
I'm the developer of Snappy Driver Installer.

I used to work on DriverPack Solution but I wasn't happy with the fact it was written in JavaScript which means that it's very slow, depends on version of IE and I also didn't like that users had to deal with changing their homepage, OEM logo, software being forced down their throat. For my part, I tired to make these things easy to disable but even though I made major contributions to the project, I wasn't successful in convincing making it disabled by default. I haven’t been involved in the project for a long time, and now that I have my own project(Snappy Driver Installer), I no longer have to support DriverPack Solution.

Snappy Driver Installer isn't just a fork. It’s a complete rewrite from scratch and was initially supposed to be a new version of DriverPack Solution but I decided to split off from it so that it wouldn't end up being filled with adware. Since I left DriverPack Solution, they have no developers who understand how driver ranking algorithm works so no one works on improving it. People keep complaining about adware, scripting errors, incorrect driver picking such as installing touchpad drivers on desktops but the only things that are changing are GUI and adware being updated to newest version. The known issues aren't likely to be addressed because the team is too busy optimizing the website in order to maximize profit from users downloading DPS and installing adware.

Driverpacks are being put together by SamLab. He also releases his own SamDrivers that includes both Snappy Driver Installer and DriverPack Solution. It should be noted that his version of DriverPack Solution has most adware disabled by default but at this point I wouldn't bother with it anyway because DPS is left too far behind SDI in terms of how it picks driver for installation. DPS can no longer pick the correct driver on its own and has to rely on markers which are put by SamLab and some trickery to force DPS into installing the correct driver, but it doesn't works all the time. I wish SamLab wouldn't have to spend so much effort on making sure that his driverpacks work with DPS but for now he has to support the lowest common denominator.

Snappy Driver Installer is written in C/C++ which makes it fast, compact, standalone.

Size
DPS - 34 MB (291 files)
SDI - 1.3 MB (42 files) Without localization and themes - 1 MB(one file).

Indexing time
DPS - 280 secs (4:40)
SDI - 19 secs (13 secs on indexing and 6 secs on compressing)

Start up time
DPS - 10 secs
SDI - 0.5 sec

I know there were some issues with updating via torrents but it should be fixed by now. It should start up much faster now and also you can change port in settings.cfg.

If you have issues with driver installation, you can post logs so that I can look into it.

Thank you very much. I just heard of this and will look into it. Is there a feature where it can pick up the hardware IDs of devices that are not yet included and then you can add the drivers in aditional packs?
I would thank you on this forum but I don't see a button to click.

It's mostly code refactoring and some small changes/fixes here and there which you can actually spot.

I mentions these shortcuts because SDI no longer has two version of each theme(small and big) and I anticipated that people would be unhappy with being stuck with "fixed" size.

Snappy Driver. We just downloaded this program yesterday. From a very cursory look it appears very good. Has any one had positive experiences with it? We have used 3dpNet and 3dpChip for several years. We used to use and subscribe to Driverguide but it let us down a lot.
We use it all the time here at our shop. About the only computer we've had trouble using it with was a Fujitsu Laptop (with touchscreen). It (SDI) just plain did NOT like the computer and caused us to have to reload the O/S.

Program is great and we have been using it solely as our driver installation method. One bug we have learned to live with, it always fails during the first extraction, then you need to select all drivers a second time and restart installation. Does anyone have a solution for this? Is this something that can be fixed in future builds?

Program is great and we have been using it solely as our driver installation method. One bug we have learned to live with, it always fails during the first extraction, then you need to select all drivers a second time and restart installation. Does anyone have a solution for this? Is this something that can be fixed in future builds?
I need to see log files from these sessions.

I have only seen this issue when I have a new install of windows 7 and before updating the new windows 7 install. We run it after a new install to get network drivers, then we do all the windows 7 updates, then we run SDI a second time which then runs error free. I just figured that some of the drivers required the windows 7 updates.

I have only seen this issue when I have a new install of windows 7 and before updating the new windows 7 install. We run it after a new install to get network drivers, then we do all the windows 7 updates, then we run SDI a second time which then runs error free. I just figured that some of the drivers required the windows 7 updates.

We use fully updated images, so the lack of updates may not be the issue. For the speed of it, just for network drivers only, we use "3dp net" as the first step.

Back