Word 2016 (O365) No Printer Installed

Slaters Kustum Machines

Reaction score
I have a user that just got a new HP P4015 using HP Universal Printing PCL 6 (v6.5.0) driver. (There are 7 other users with the same driver installed, working fine). These printers are managed by a 3rd party printer company, but we are running into an issue with one user. Windows 10 Pro v1709 with O365 Business Premium. When the user tries to print from Word she gets an error "We couldn’t print because there doesn’t seem to be a printer installed ".

Here are the details of what's been tried and general info. If I think of anything else I'll add it to the list.
  • Other apps work fine, even when Word does not
  • A reboot usually fixes the issue temporarily
  • The printers are all managed from Server 2012 R2 Essentials
  • Tried re-installing the printer numerous times
  • Tried online repair for MS Office
  • This printer is set as the default printer
  • Uninstalled Sophos AV
  • Printer connected via IP over the LAN
  • Enable bidirectional support is NOT checked

Is there any change in behaviour if you turn off "SNMP Status Enabled" in the port settings for that printer?

And have you tried using the Universal PostScript driver?
I'll try the SNMP status tomorrow. I am not sure on the PostScript driver. There are 7 other users with the same printer using the universal so this "should" work. I can try it though. I know the print management company was having trouble with different drivers since the users have duplex, envelope feeders and multiple trays.

office fully updated?

after a/v removed, run a repair install.

system is running 64-bit, the same as what is installed on the server?

if you set the default printer to XPS printer, does it work?

to clarify this statement:
Printer connected via IP over the LAN

you mean that you are bypassing the print server and hitting the printer directly with a tcp/ip port with bidirectional turned off?

office fully updated?

after a/v removed, run a repair install.

system is running 64-bit, the same as what is installed on the server?

if you set the default printer to XPS printer, does it work?

to clarify this statement:

you mean that you are bypassing the print server and hitting the printer directly with a tcp/ip port with bidirectional turned off?
Office and Windows are fully up to date. The repair was done when the AV was installed, I can run it again. System is 64bit, same as server. I haven't tried XPS. The printer is installed through the server and the port is using TCP/IP.

Last edited:
SNMP is enabled as is the same with all other printers. I'll disable it and see if it makes a difference. I think it's a Windows 10 issue really since there are multiple other users with the same config and it works fine. Though the other users are running 10 as well. I think it's local to the computer.

I'm going to run the Office Online repair again once the user leaves for the day. I'll report back tomorrow after the user tries to print.

My profile works fine. Seems to be an issue with her account. I'm going to delete her domain profile from her computer and rebuild it. Hopefully that will fix it. Also, other users can print to her printer and she cannot print to other printers. So it seems to just be tied to her profile.

If folder redirection 'n other typical domain stuff are in place, should be easy enough to blow away her profile and just log in again...get a fresh profile, and let it rebuild. Check to see what's synced...save what's necessary (don't forget Outlook signature if she has one)
Check group policies ahead of time, gpresult /r
Hopefully should see folder redirection and the group policy that hands out printers.
Could also check and do some simple cleaning up of the local print spooler...blow out old/unused drivers, sorta let it start clean. Many times I"ll run into networks from other techs where they never clean out old drivers when replacing printers. (shame shame)

If folder redirection 'n other typical domain stuff are in place, should be easy enough to blow away her profile and just log in again...get a fresh profile, and let it rebuild. Check to see what's synced...save what's necessary (don't forget Outlook signature if she has one)
Check group policies ahead of time, gpresult /r
Hopefully should see folder redirection and the group policy that hands out printers.
Could also check and do some simple cleaning up of the local print spooler...blow out old/unused drivers, sorta let it start clean. Many times I"ll run into networks from other techs where they never clean out old drivers when replacing printers. (shame shame)
In this case there is no folder redirection, just mapped drives where they are supposed to store their data, but as usual there is some local. I also just created the group policy last night to deploy printers, before they were manually added to each machine. I'll check print management on the local machine for extra drivers. I'm sure there are some, the printer management company doesn't do any cleanup. Good thought.

Removed all old drivers in print management, same issue. Rebuilt user profile, which seemed to work for a day and back to getting the no printer installed error. Scheduled to pick it up on Thursday for N&P.

N&P going from Windows 10 v1709 to v1803 resulted in the same error after a day or two. The print management company put the old printer back in place, which was working perfectly fine before the new one was installed and the user is having issues with Word saying the printer is offline even though other apps work fine. I updated the BIOS today and will wait to see what happens with that.

Weird one....so it works for other user profiles on this computer, and it works fine for all other computers/users on the network. And all print through the servers share.
Is it handed out to the PCs via Print Deploy group policy? (that's the best way).
I'd stick to PCL for most printing, HP's Uni drivers are my preferred. I'll load up PS drivers on the server share but usually only deploy those to users that do heavy graphics (like Adobe stuff)...as that's what PS print drivers are more for.

For giggles if this user is not a member of the local Admin group on this PC...try doing that.

Although a band aid fix...can add the printer locally via its TCP/IP address and set it as the default...instead of going through the server share.

Another one I've seen happen once in a blue moon, user account on the server is a bit awry...we've had issues we've spend days chasing, ended up removing the user account on the server...(after backing up their data), removing that users local profile, create new domain user account for them, and then create fresh profile on that workstation.

My guess is bad printer, but failing that my next guess would be bad RAM in the unit.
We put the old printer back in place, which was working perfectly fine before the office had all new printers brought in and we had a similar issue. The only thing that remains the same is the physical computer and the user.

Weird one....so it works for other user profiles on this computer, and it works fine for all other computers/users on the network. And all print through the servers share.
Is it handed out to the PCs via Print Deploy group policy? (that's the best way).
I'd stick to PCL for most printing, HP's Uni drivers are my preferred. I'll load up PS drivers on the server share but usually only deploy those to users that do heavy graphics (like Adobe stuff)...as that's what PS print drivers are more for.

For giggles if this user is not a member of the local Admin group on this PC...try doing that.

Although a band aid fix...can add the printer locally via its TCP/IP address and set it as the default...instead of going through the server share.

Another one I've seen happen once in a blue moon, user account on the server is a bit awry...we've had issues we've spend days chasing, ended up removing the user account on the server...(after backing up their data), removing that users local profile, create new domain user account for them, and then create fresh profile on that workstation.
Well, when I tested from my account it was fine, however the issue doesn't happen every day so this could have been a fluke that it worked at that time.
No one else has reported an issue when printing to this printer.
This is a law office and the user is an assistant. The attorney can print to this assistants printer no problem at any time.
All printers in the office have been setup through the 2012 R2 server using Print Management/Group Policy, however when the printer management company brought the old printer back in they installed the driver on the computer and it is not configured through GPO.
They are using the Universal PCL from HP, though they have tested several.
None of the users are local admins, but it's worth a try. I'm going to wait a day or two to see if the BIOS update makes any difference, which I can't see that it would.

Back