Word 2016 (O365) No Printer Installed

It's easier to replace the user.

Can you get her to swap desks with another user for a couple of days? If the problem moves with her then you've changed it from a technical issue to an HR one.
Well in this case, the user is great to work with and I don't suspect it's her. She's just trying to print nothing fancy.

Just heard from the user that she is getting the error again. Going to add her to the local admin group. Unfortunately there aren't any spare desks for her to use someone else's computer.

Adding the user to the local admin group didn't help. I tried replacing the Ethernet cable for the printer as well today, which didn't help. The printer management company was going to connect the new printer directly to the computer with a USB cable to eliminate the network as a possibility.

I have a user that just got a new HP P4015 using HP Universal Printing PCL 6 (v6.5.0) driver. (There are 7 other users with the same driver installed, working fine). These printers are managed by a 3rd party printer company, but we are running into an issue with one user. Windows 10 Pro v1709 with O365 Business Premium. When the user tries to print from Word she gets an error "We couldn’t print because there doesn’t seem to be a printer installed ".

Here are the details of what's been tried and general info. If I think of anything else I'll add it to the list.
  • Other apps work fine, even when Word does not
  • A reboot usually fixes the issue temporarily
  • The printers are all managed from Server 2012 R2 Essentials
  • Tried re-installing the printer numerous times
  • Tried online repair for MS Office
  • This printer is set as the default printer
  • Uninstalled Sophos AV
  • Printer connected via IP over the LAN
  • Enable bidirectional support is NOT checked
Seen this before. Only a reboot fixes it short term. Uninstall and Reinstall of office is the long term fix.

Seen this before. Only a reboot fixes it short term. Uninstall and Reinstall of office is the long term fix.
A reboot is exactly the fix for short term, however I have done the long repair on Office and went as far as to completely reinstall Windows 10 and Office 2016 (O365) and is still happens. I suppose something could be corrupting Word/Office. Actually, this just sparked the thought to check add-ins in Word. I can't remember now if I did that with all of the other things I have tried.

Update: on the 3rd or 4th day now of being connected via USB rather than Ethernet and everything seems to be working fine. I'll give it awhile longer before we look into re-punching the jack at the users desk.

Back