Current recommendations for *basic* desktop machine

britechguy

Reaction score
As I posted earlier today, my client that is having the boot into PXE issue has an ancient (yes, a January 2013 date of manufacture is now ancient) Lenovo A440 AIO with only 4GB RAM and a Pentium processor of the generation. It came with Windows 8 and was updated to Windows 10. The monitor is 21.5" and she really doesn't want anything larger, and I asked.

Given the price of an SSD, and the fact that this is a senior citizen with very basic computing needs, I really can't even see point in trying to revive that machine with an SSD, as she'd be spending money better spent on the replacement.

She does not want a laptop, and I do not want an AIO (and haven't seen many of them lately, anyway). I know there are a lot of folks here who are more aware of current offerings out there than I am, since I do not sell hardware.

Just soliciting opinions regarding what folks like in a basic desktop, with monitor, these days, preferably one that will be upgradable to Windows 11. I am trying to minimize cost because there's just no heavy duty demands here. We will not be doing a custom build; it needs to be an "off the shelf" unit.

She has an existing Logitech wireless external keyboard/mouse combo that she wishes to continue using, so keyboard quality is not of primary concern.

I usually try and keep my senior clients as close to what they have as most are very uncomfortable with change so if it is an AIO I would stick with another AIO and aim for similar size display or larger as long as it fits their workspace reasonably well.

I will not absolutely rule out an AIO, but I really prefer a separate computer and monitor, and it would have no issue fitting into the space.

AIOs are just a grand PITA to tear down, when that's necessary. They have all the disadvantages of laptops when it comes to maintenance with none of the benefits.

I'm trying to keep things topped out around $600, so here are some of the options I've looked at on Amazon:

Sans Monitors, so would need a separate one
2021 Newest Dell G5 Gaming Desktop PC Without GPU, Intel 10th Quad-Core i3-10100(Up to 4.3GHz), 8GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB HDD, NO Video Output W/O GPU, WiFi, Bluetooth 500W PSU, Win 10+Gift Mp (Renewed) Since she's used to an HDD with the specs her prior machine had, an HDD is not a huge problem. I don't know if she'll consider refurbs or not.

2021 Dell Inspiron Desktop Computer, 10th Gen Intel Core i3-10100, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB HDD+ 256GB SSD, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Keyboard, Mouse, HDMI, VGA, Windows 10, Black

Acer Aspire TC-895-UA91 Desktop, 10th Gen Intel Core i3-10100 4-Core Processor, 8GB 2666MHz DDR4, 512GB NVMe M.2 SSD, 8X DVD, 802.11ax Wi-Fi 6, USB 3.2 Type C, Windows 10 Home

Acer Aspire TC-885-UA91 Desktop, 9th Gen Intel Core i3-9100, 8GB DDR4, 512GB SSD, 8X DVD, 802.11AC Wifi, USB 3.1 Type C, Windows 10 Home,Black

Dell Optiplex 3060 SFF Computer Desktop PC, Intel Core i5-8400 8th Gen Processor, 16GB DDR4 Ram, 512GB NVMe SSD + 2TB Hard Drive, HDMI, Wireless Keyboard Mouse, WiFi & Bluetooth, Windows 10 (Renewed)

AIOs:
Acer Aspire C24-963-UA91 AIO Desktop, 23.8" Full HD Display, 10th Gen Intel Core i3-1005G1, 8GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe M.2 SSD, 802.11ac Wi-Fi 5, Wireless Keyboard and Mouse

Lenovo Ideacentre AIO 520 22" All in One Desktop, Intel Core i3-8100T Quad-Core Processor, 4GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Hard Drive, 16GB Intel Optane Memory, Windows 10 Home

Dell Inspiron 5490 All in One Desktop, 24” FHD, Intel 10th Gen i3-10110U Upto 4.2GHz, 16GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD, Webcam, HDMI, SD-Card, USB Type-C - Windows 10 Pro (Renewed)

I got some 9th generation Dell Optiplex MFFs on the cheap recently. Usually I don't go for these tiny things but I was rather shocked when I discovered it used standard SODIMMs for RAM, M.2 for storage, and even had a 2.5" tray for another drive.

If you need something that is easier to work on than an AIO, while also doing basically the same thing... look into those. They're tiny, and really easy to work on.

It's something I considered, but I suspect it may be a enough of a "divergence" from what she's accustomed to that I'm avoiding that as a first choice.

Lenovo A440 AIO
Now that you've mentioned the full specs, I'd endorse your decision to scrap it. I wasted many hours failing to get one of those to even recognise any alternative HDD/SSD or boot from any source earlier this year. I can only presume that Lenovo has used one of its more weird quirks in the BIOS or it had corrupted its BIOS.

Regarding a replacement, I'd try really hard to avoid another AIO and go for the VESA mounted NUC or similar. Definitely +1 for SSD; ignore Windows 11 compatibility; don't ignore refurbs. Only down side of a very small case, beware of running out of USB ports (factor in a self-powered hub) and check audio port availability and requirements (you may also need a USB sound card).

If you don't want a NUC-equivalent, then a refurb business-class should be top of your list. I never recommend consumer-grade machines of any form factor, these days. For 600 of any currency unit, you're getting cheap junk, with big numbers to make the marketing fluff sound good. More so with current supply problems inflating prices and shrinking specs.

Just my opinion, of course. ;-)

Look in the Dell Outlet - you should be able to find something there with an SSD that fits her specs and budget. Or find one with a spinner for $300 or so and put a cheap SSD in it. Does your $600 total budget include your labor costs? How much storage space does she actually need? Most of my senior citizens would be more than fine with a 256gb drive.

Hate buying computers from Amazon - never know who they are really from, if they are really new, etc. Dell Outlet is a much better option, in my opinion.

To answer your questions. Get her an i3, 8gb ram and 256ssd. If money is an issue get a refurbished tower or aio and add the ssd.

I think that is more of a techie/urban legend than reality these days. The last several I've had come through have been really pretty easy to get inside. Two screws at the bottom on one and the back lifted off. I've really changed my opinion lately on servicing AIOs.
Dell and HP AIO's tend to be pretty easy. I had a Lenovo a week or so ago that was a real PIA. I won't go into iMacs, period - send them to a Mac specialty shop near me. However, for seniors I often recommend AIO's, as the big screen/built in webcam/sound, etc, meets their needs with a minimum of cables and desk/floor real estate required. There's a reason you find iMacs in all the upper middle class suburban kitchens - people (rightfully) don't want to deal with a lot of components and power cords.

Parts for AIO are specific though. If say the display dies, it's not as simple as buying a new one. Plus, they are plastic. There is every chance that you could snap, break or warp it even when being careful.

There are so many things that can go wrong with them.

Most standard machines even slim ones, use standard parts, and even if you frequently use one model, you probably can get spares or even another unit quickly. AIO tend to age badly and quickly are removed from the market, whereas the SFF and other machines often have greater staying power in the market which means parts and support will be easier.

I think that is more of a techie/urban legend than reality these days. The last several I've had come through have been really pretty easy to get inside. Two screws at the bottom on one and the back lifted off. I've really changed my opinion lately on servicing AIOs.
Most are easy to replace a HD or ram. But when a screen goes out, that's a different story.

To late for this vote, but for down the road....

We belt out lots of Lenovo Tiny PCs...the M70q models mostly.
For AIOs....you can also get Lenovos Tiny in One Monitors..which has a dock in the back that the TinyPC slides into, and interfaces with the monitor...so you have a nice, neat, nearly cable-less setup much like a true AIO. Yet...wicked easy to service if needed.

All input is useful, as there's almost certainly someone who may look for this information in the future, and a lot of what's been discussed will remain generally applicable even once the exact models referenced here are long dead.

I 99% only recommend business grade computers even for home users. Higher quality and you can get a 3 year warranty instead of 1 year. Refurbished if they are worried about cost. I also do not spec any computers that do not have an SSD. Few years ago had a couple older ladies both get new computers about the same time. One was on Optiplex and another a Precision, both SFF. The Precision was the lowest model so it was basically an Optiplex. Was priced right.

Looked at the Dell Outlet and found a nice AIO there, but the client wanted the Acer Aspire C24-963-UA91 AIO Desktop, 23.8" Full HD Display, 10th Gen Intel Core i3-1005G1, 8GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe M.2 SSD, 802.11ac Wi-Fi 5, Wireless Keyboard and Mouse since her son is a fan of the Acer brand. I'm not about to argue this.
Not a fan of Acer or Asus (for that matter, their computers, not motherboards). Looks like a nice machine. Also, if you say something to the effect of "not my first choice, but if that's what you want", then it gets you off the hook down the road if it takes a crap.

AIOs are just a grand PITA to tear down
I wholeheartedly agree with @Diggs on this one. With the caveat that you're dealing with Dell or HP. Apple forget about it. Not too sure about Lenovo. Asus not great with one I've serviced.

Anyway, the Dells and HPs my clients have bought over the last few years have been very easy to work on. And the only reason I've worked on them in 95% of the cases is to upgrade the drive or the RAM. I think I've seen one motherboard and one power supply fail. Parts were easy to find online.

I'd argue that if you put together all the time from taking a machine out of its environment, crawling under the desks, fishing for cables in the dark, hauling to shop, fixing and reinstalling... an AIO is faster because the removal and reinstall is much easier. AIOs don't gather a ton of dust as they're not on the floor like most towers.

There's nothing I hate more than dealing with trying to make a mess of speaker and camera wires (and whatever else you need) and trying to make it look neat. AIOs solve that.

It's true that if a screen goes out on an AIO is gonna be a b1tch to fix. I've yet to have to replace one. But every desktop has a guaranteed mess of wires.

Back